New Xmax 300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: New Xmax 300

Post by Ralph »

Back nearer the rider,
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Argyll
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH300i

Post by Argyll »

Having taken my new Forza 300 to show it to the guys at the local Yamaha dealership they suggested that I take out their Xmax 300 demo just to see how the bikes compare and, of course, I found that they were both very similar and both good bikes.

I only had the Xmax for half an hour so hardly enough time to make a proper comparison although I've not done that many miles on the Forza either so that hopefully balances out any natural bias that I might have for the bike that I actually own.

Anyway, I immediately loved the Xmax seat. It's a great design and very comfortable. Sadly, and this would stop me buying one, it's just too high for me (29” inseam). However, on the move, it's excellent. We discussed this afterwards and there's probably a way round this, or likely to be at some point in the future. The Forza seat is just a bit lower, or certainly feels lower, and is right on my comfort limit.

Performance wise, you certainly notice that the Yamaha spins up quicker than the Forza . Maybe I was giving it a bit more throttle than I would on my new Honda but it's certainly no slouch and gets up to motorway speeds really quickly. Sounds a bit noisier than the Forza which is either good or bad, depending upon what you like. Handling feels very similar on both bikes and I think that the Xmax rear suspension might be a bit better although the extra padding in the seat maybe just gives that impression. I'm pretty sure that it is better though as the Honda is fairly basic. I was a bit concerned about the feet position on the Yamaha which tends to splay out as you bring your feet back – maybe the tunnel is wider at that point. It's not the kind of thing which makes that much difference but it is noticeable.

In terms of overall comfort when on the move I did feel that the Xmax was a slightly more compact bike with a little less bulk in front of the rider. This makes it slightly more draughty and, again, you could see this as a plus or a minus. The screen works well and I would be more than happy with it if I wasn't already sold on the Forza's electric set up. For most people this is probably a minor issue, the main thing being that the screens on both bikes are very effective.

So, both bikes are great scoots. The quality of the finish is excellent and they both look great. I probably prefer the Forza because of the seat height and the screen although the extra power of the Xmax is an attraction.

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

I fitted my Optimate Battery lead today. :)
Firstly, don’t do what I did and remove the screen and brackets, you don’t need to...... :oops:
All was not lost removing the screen because I could see that there are two grooves in the plastic and you can actually see the battery inside.
So after removing the plastic I routed the Optimate lead up the left slot and then up the left hand side of the screen viewed from the front.
The Optimate plug sits nicely in the gap between the plastic and screen with enough slack to pull it out for charging.

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

Normsthename
Benefactor

Post by Normsthename »

I fitted my Optimate Battery lead today. :)
Firstly, don’t do what I did and remove the screen and brackets, you don’t need to...... :oops:
All was not lost removing the screen because I could see that there are two grooves in the plastic and you can actually see the battery inside.
So after removing the plastic I routed the Optimate lead up the left slot and then up the left hand side of the screen viewed from the front.
The Optimate plug sits nicely in the gap between the plastic and screen with enough slack to pull it out for charging.
I don’t ride in bad weather but the plug does have a weather proof cover

Andy

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Must fit mine it has been standing for about 5 weeks due to me having a chest infection been out on it for the first time today,
it fired up ok,
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Normsthename
Benefactor

Post by Normsthename »

That was what I was worried about, not been on the scoot for at least 3 weeks :oops:
I was surprised that once I plugged the Optimate in it was showing a full charge less than two hours later, so it was not that discharged.
I didn’t know what effect the Keyless Ignition would have on the battery state.

Andy

orange1290
Current Ride: XMAX 300

Post by orange1290 »

I've left mine for 2 months and it started like it was used the day before, no battery tender connected. Very strong battery and turnover,
2017 XMAX 300
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

Not a xmax, but my sh300 keyless was left for 5 months with battery disconnected while away, started ok on return without even charging?
Was concerned about disconnecting battery but dealer said it would be fine and it was

orange1290
Current Ride: XMAX 300

Post by orange1290 »

You don't need to disconnect the battery on modern motorbikes/scooters. The electronics will automatically switch to 'sleep' mode after 1-2 weeks. Never disconnect the battery on my KTM 1290 Super Adventure and after 6 months unused over wither starts on 1st/2nd press of the button. The battery is slightly discharged but plenty in reserve to start and after a short run, starts like new the following days and for the rest of the riding season. Never on a battery tender either, 3 winters so far.
2017 XMAX 300
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

If I could get that front panel off, I could find the battery on mine.. :roll: :cry: :? .
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350