high mileage

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
rascaltrousers
Current Ride: Burgman 650

high mileage

Post by rascaltrousers »

Firstly, I currently own a 2007 Burgman 650 with around 14000 on the clock. Are these good for high mileage with routine maintenance? Also is there anything specific to watch for?

Secondly, Ive seen a nice looking Burgman 400 Mk1 for sale. I used to won a 250 and personally I still think this is one of the best looking maxi scooters. Price is £1495 and mileage is just over 34000. Are there any problems to look out for and would any of you buy one with this sort of mileage on it?
As always, every opinion vallued and all advice gratefully recieved. :D
Its not the trousers but the rascal inside them that counts. :twisted:

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Re: high mileage

Post by Ferret »

Mileage is nothing , it's more about serving and the way those miles have been accumulated ,I'm sure I've seen burgmans on other forums with 100k on the clock .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Agree with Ferret though I think a scooter that's done long runs rather than short city commutes is a better buy but it's not just the mechanicals if your Meldrew & Mottza fussy then it's hosed down after every trip whereas my regular ride relies on ACF50 and an end of season blitz.

Apart from the engine going 'bang' on my burgman 400 (No idea of cause & still worked after) it was faultless.

Do you have the 'garage space and ability to maintain it yourself, if the answers yes then your sorted and it'll go on as long as you can get parts.

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

I'm not fussy... Just like to keep it in good nick.

Agree lots of good runs better than the short commute.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

rascaltrousers

Post by rascaltrousers »

With regard to my 650 I used to use it to commute daily 18 miles each way, plus some longer runs. It hasn't been ridden for several months now as I've been ill but I'm hoping to get out n it more once spring comes. As for the 400 I'm looking at Cosmetically it looks great but I guess a chat with the dealer and a loom at its history will tell more. Garage space is big enough, just. As for mechanical skills, I can do basic maintenance like brakes and fluids. Bogger jobs I'd probably use a local bike shop.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Meldrew wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:42 am At the risk of taking Top Poster of The Month crown away from you, I'll correct you there, I don't 'hose down every trip' because it's impractical.

I'm not obsessive about cleaning, it's more about preventing rust and corrosion from laziness and neglect affecting the future resale value.
Your not as anal as your posts suggest then ;)

Please take top crown, I shan't lose sleep

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

Scootypuff snr wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:26 am
Meldrew wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:42 am At the risk of taking Top Poster of The Month crown away from you, I'll correct you there, I don't 'hose down every trip' because it's impractical.

I'm not obsessive about cleaning, it's more about preventing rust and corrosion from laziness and neglect affecting the future resale value.
Your not as anal as your posts suggest then ;)

Please take top crown, I shan't lose sleep
I just did for the 1st and last time. :lol: :D
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Are you thinking of changing the 650 for the 400?? Or as an addition? You say 'mk1' Burgman 400, but what year is it? Burgman 400s tended to improve as time went on, I believe. 14,000 miles on a 12 year old Burger 650 is nothing. Whilst I've heard of the odd person having a problem with the 650, such issues seem pretty random, and I haven't heard of any systematic faults. In parts it seems pretty over-engineered!

rascaltrousers

Post by rascaltrousers »

I don't want to get rid of my 650. It is a great touring bike and my wife feels very secure as a pillion (top box with backrest). I was thinking of the 400 as an extra for local trips as it is quite a bit lighter and more manageable. The one I'm looking at is a 2000 model, the original body shape with the smaller boot. I remember y 250 very fondly except for some discomfort on longer trips. My own opinion is it was one of the better looking maxi scoots along with the Mk1 Majesty 400 (I had 2 of those).

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

You should talk to Taipan! He's just bought a similar one - but he only paid £500 I think. £1500 for an 18 year old scoot with lots of miles sounds pricy to me - though I guess it all comes down to condition and how well its been looked after.