Sym spares

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Re: Sym spares

Post by Drago »

Well finally after 5 weeks I've got my Joymax back. Turns out all it was the stepper motor had packed up on the throttle body.
Dealer told me of the issues they were having with motogb. They even tried to use the Chinese new year as an excuse for why parts
were taking so long!!! Despite my dealer asking for the parts before hand and in the end after much badgering they got the part in
from Belgium anyway! Bloody Motogb!
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Drago wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:47 am Well finally after 5 weeks I've got my Joymax back. Turns out all it was the stepper motor had packed up on the throttle body.
Dealer told me of the issues they were having with motogb. They even tried to use the Chinese new year as an excuse for why parts
were taking so long!!! Bloody Motogb!
Sadly, I'm not overly surprised. The workshop I use nearly became a Sym dealer (they only repair at the moment), but were messed around so much by MotoGB that they decided not to bother.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Drago wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:47 am Well finally after 5 weeks I've got my Joymax back. Turns out all it was the stepper motor had packed up on the throttle body.
were taking so long!!! Despite my dealer asking for the parts before hand and in the end after much badgering they got the part in
from Belgium anyway! Bloody Motogb!
Ties in nicely with my experience. Using Chinese new year as an excuse is definitely pushing it!

I'm still waiting for my fender/rear mudguard by the way. They have told the dealer they will take one off a Maxsym they have in and it will be with the dealer by Wednesday (today). It isn't - what a surprise! I will give them till Friday then order one off Ebay. Then the next time I need parts I will only go to the dealer/motogb if I can't source them from anywhere else. Comes to something doesn't it when the importer is the last port of call for parts rather than the first.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Sadly, I've also had personal experience of (not) getting Sym parts for scooters belonging to two acquaintances.

Sad because I was probably an influence in them going to the brand in the first place. I've never owned a Sym scooter but have hired several abroad and been impressed with their build quality.

Another mitigating factor in my recommendation was that a local dealer I know and trust started being a Sym dealer in 2011. In 2016, when both parties needed important spares (body panels, plus service items like belts and specific cables) the dealer didn't deal in Syms any longer, their opinion of the parts side of the Sym network was awful, and we had a hard time finding the parts anywhere.

We got some in the end from the EU (Greece if I remember correctly) and the one needing body panels was patched up and sold on as a repair project.

Sorry I couldn't add anything positive to the debate, but my opinion is still, "Great scooters, abysmal back-up."

:(

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Just phoned the dealer to confirm what I know already - it hasn't arrived. So on Ebay later to order one. Then onto Google to find another source for parts. As I say in future I will only go to the dealer/MotoGB if I need a part but can't get it anywhere else. And prepare for a long, long wait...

Argyll
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH300i

Post by Argyll »

It's a real pity as I, too, like some of their models. I wonder if the smaller bikes (eg Fiddle) are as bad for parts?

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Argyll wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:27 am It's a real pity as I, too, like some of their models. I wonder if the smaller bikes (eg Fiddle) are as bad for parts?
The ones I've had experience of poor spares back up for were 125s, I'm afraid.

Not the Fiddle specifically but the 125 Jet and the 125 Allo.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Maxsymuppet wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:11 am Just phoned the dealer to confirm what I know already - it hasn't arrived. So on Ebay later to order one. Then onto Google to find another source for parts. As I say in future I will only go to the dealer/MotoGB if I need a part but can't get it anywhere else. And prepare for a long, long wait...
Seems like a good starting point
https://www.motoeparts.co.uk/sym/Maxsym ... BS_2016_-_
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Just had a look at the link. It does indeed seem like a good starting point. Thanks. I've put it into favourites for future use.

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I've got a SYM dealer near me in Poole, Roger Barrett. They also do Royal Enfield etc. They used to be Yamaha agents a few years ago. I've never dealt with them but not heard any bad reports either. If they have to go through Motogb though I suppose they'll be just as bad as any other. :?
I do quite fancy the MaxSym but wouldn't consider it if the spares situation is as bad as I've heard.