Good pro-scooter article on BBC

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Good pro-scooter article on BBC

Post by StephenC »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16844525?

Not read the comments yet, though. I expect to be "entertained".
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

SpikeOne
Current Ride: Kymco Downtown 300i

Re: Good pro-scooter article on BBC

Post by SpikeOne »

Nice to see BMW as theee manufacturer of Maxi scooters!
As to the comments, apparently scooter riders are not subject to the same tests as riders of "big bikes"!
What a tit head.....
Spike

Kymco Downtown 300i
Yamaha Vity
MZ ETZ251
Honda CD175
Honda CB250 G5
BSA Bantam D14/4
BSA Sunbeam
Honda C50

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, generally a decent article, though he obviously read a BMW press release before he wrote it.
A couple of the public comments said that 'mopeds' (50cc scoots) were too slow and a nuisance - true, but that its mostly down to the legal 30mph restriction, which wasn't pointed out. I do feel that the 30 limit is positively dangerous.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Ill second that mr grumpy, my lad has just turned 17 and has just bought a 125, no way would I let him commute on a 50cc, with young knobhead car drivers racing everywhere, and certain immigrant taxi drivers who couldn't even translate a highway code, thats if they ever saw one.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

horobags wrote:Ill second that mr grumpy, my lad has just turned 17 and has just bought a 125, no way would I let him commute on a 50cc .
Very sensible. I have a biker neighbour who's got a lad who's just turned 16, so they're looking for a 50cc scoot for him as he can't ride anything else till he's 17 (lad is actually a car rather than bike nut). I know its illegal but I was in that situation, I'd get the scoot stealthily derestricted......

buff
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by buff »

horobags wrote:Ill second that mr grumpy, my lad has just turned 17 and has just bought a 125, no way would I let him commute on a 50cc, with young knobhead car drivers racing everywhere, and certain immigrant taxi drivers who couldn't even translate a highway code, thats if they ever saw one.
Totally agree. My lad is 16 in August. We already bought him a Vespa 50cc ready for then, but the wife and I started to have kittens when we thought about the reality of him travelling to College in rush hour. That's why we decided to sell it. Actually got a bloke coming back for a second look in a couple of hours.

kav
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Helix

Post by kav »

I had a 50cc 2 stroke when at college, no problems great bike went everywhere on it. 4/5 years ago bought a Yamaha Giggle, rode it back from Peterborough to South London. Commuted a few times but the under powering just felt dangerous (restricted to 28mph), you held traffic up so felt pressured to ride in the gutter. So decided very shortly to get rid. Can you believe a sold it to a dealer for more than I paid for it privately (he advertised it badly/aggressively); first and last time no doubt.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Blimey, Where'd you drag this old thread up from?

:)
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

People buying mp3s riding on car licence with no experience or training worries me more .Rather spend shit load on an mp3 than pay for training and pass test .

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

It's not so much speed, or lack of it, that makes the roads so dangerous for newbies, it's inexperience. Whatever your age, you have to learn how to survive, and that can't be done in a classroom.
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!