Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Re: Tmax DX Dead! Won't start

Post by bikerdezzie »

On my 2008 mk3 i had a similar problem, turns out the 12v i thought i needed was not enough and my old charger only charged to 12v when in reality the newer gel batteries needed around 14v to start it, new battery and charger and was right as rain.
Dezzie

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah - I've found that not having a battery that's absolutely in tip-top condition can cause all sorts of problems.

Beginning to wonder whether you need a mechanic, a computer programmer or a witch-doctor to keep a mk6 Tmax running properly.........

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

JustToSayHi wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:12 am Hi,

By shunting the Vodafone box I mean he rerouted the wires so the start doesn’t need to be validated first by the box. Just a kind of neutralisation if you want
Hey, I don't suppose you know exactly how they did this? My dealer is currently scratching their heads after finding no faults anywhere and I've shared the suggestion that it's possibly the tracker itself that's faulty. Given that the bike's out of warranty I may opt to bypass rather than replace it if the part turns out to be expensive!

Nick

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

bikerdezzie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:51 pm On my 2008 mk3 i had a similar problem, turns out the 12v i thought i needed was not enough and my old charger only charged to 12v when in reality the newer gel batteries needed around 14v to start it, new battery and charger and was right as rain.
Interesting, was it even trying to turn over? The battery in this one is two years old, but is holding a good 12.7v when static. I've never seen a bike battery hold much more than that even when brand new and fully charged! The previous owner kept it on a trickle charger and the electric screen seems to go up and down at full speed...

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've seen times when a low battery has resulted in all the lights being on but no activity from the starter at all. Don't ask me to technical with voltages though! I remember this particularly with my mk2 which turned out to have alternator problems (burnt out stator).

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

I think that happened once on my Triumph; the load from the starter causes the voltage to drop, but before then it's good enough to run the basic electrics. I actually checked the voltage during the starting attempt - never dropped at all, suggesting the ignition relay isn't triggering.

Thanks for the ideas folks, keep 'em coming!

Nick

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Alright, got an update from my Yamaha dealer. After six hours of testing and troubleshooting, they traced the fault to a broken wire buried underneath the battery, a wire that apparently helps the ECU confirm that the security system is happy for the engine to start. The wire looked like it was almost cut with a sharp tool, with the copper core literally hanging by a thread - I just got unlucky and the connection finally broke 24 hours after I took ownership. With the wire reconnected and secured, the scoot starts and runs perfectly.

Six hours of labour weren't cheap, but it's better than some of the other possibilities that might have cropped up. I'm picking it later this evening and can't wait to get riding!

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions!

Nick

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Sounds like a reasonable result, I had a Transalp that would fail to start quite often
strangely if you put your hand between the clocks and steering head not touching
anything it would go, I notice all the wires were through a very tight clip and wondered
if they being squashed up so tight was leading to a false signal to the immobiliser, cut the clip
no problem ever again just shows how tutchy these immobilisers are.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:28 am With the wire reconnected and secured, the scoot starts and runs perfectly.

Six hours of labour weren't cheap, but it's better than some of the other possibilities that might have cropped up. I
I'm trying to work how much 6 hours of labour is, but something in my brain kicks in to protect me from thinking about how a simple fault can cost a fortune to fix! How much??? icon_spin-on-head.gif
At least its fixed and you can spend any remaining pennies in your bank account on a few drops of petrol to ride it!

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Err, will EvilRacer spill the beans Mr Grumpy - that figure would be interesting to know.......

You TMax owners have done a good job of convincing me that the latest Tmax manifestation is one to be avoided..............thanks!