Tyres TMax DX

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Re: Tyres TMax DX

Post by Aaron »

Trust me to jump on a thread and start talking about tyres...……………………………………...I go to jump on my Tmax this morning to ride to work. Bloody flat rear tyre. Piece of metal in it. Oh well, looks like I will be removing the rear wheel tonight, so I can take it to the shop tomorrow to get a plug put in it. I would replace the whole tyre, but it still has lots of tread on it.

Aaron

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

If it helps, I came across this video this morning:

Looks like it really is the same as a chain-driven bike, with the only complexity being tensioning the belt afterwards. As for plugging tyres, why not do it yourself? I carry the following with me on any trip:

Puncture Repair Kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TYRE-PUNCTURE- ... 144&sr=8-7
Air Compressor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirMan-Compact ... 134&sr=8-1

I've repaired dozens of tyres on my bike and others, and the worst that's happened is one of them didn't quite take and we had to put a little extra air in each morning until they got home. I know that manufacturers say to treat such fixes as temporary, but I've done thousands and thousands of miles on plugged tyres with no issue. I might not if I were putting 200bhp through the rear wheel, but on a normal bike? No problem.

Nick

Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Post by Aaron »

EvilRacer329 I do carry a plug kit, but only have it if I was to get stuck somewhere and use it as an emergency. But I have the rear wheel off now. Was quite an easy job. Will get the shop to fix it tomorrow. I think the shop repairs are a bit more heavy duty than the plug kits. Seems like you have lots of experience with the DIY plugs

Aaron

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

There are temporary plugs, which plug from the outside, and permanent plugs which plug from the inside. Obviously the temporary ones are a useful roadside fix, but there are recommended limits on speed and distance before a proper repair or replacement, though the recommendations may be over-cautious. The plugs from the inside are effectively permanent so worth doing if there is lots of tread left, though obviously more complex to do.

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

MrGrumpy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:12 am There are temporary plugs, which plug from the outside, and permanent plugs which plug from the inside. Obviously the temporary ones are a useful roadside fix, but there are recommended limits on speed and distance before a proper repair or replacement, though the recommendations may be over-cautious. The plugs from the inside are effectively permanent so worth doing if there is lots of tread left, though obviously more complex to do.
I know, I know...but after each plug I've gotten more and more bullish, to the point where I've done trackdays on tyres I've plugged myself. I strongly suspect that the official guidance is a) old and b) was over-cautious at the time it was devised, but no legal department in the world is going to authorise the marketing team to tell people that it's safe to travel on plugs. If someone got into a wreck because a poorly-installed plug failed (or any other reason, really!) they'd blame it on that company's advice and there would be lawsuits for days.

I'm gonna keep pluggin' along, but I completely respect the opinion that it's better to play it safe and pay a mechanic to do a professional inside-out plug.

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, if you are experienced with external plugs, that's fine, and you will obviously well equipped to replug if a plug fails! I'm a mechanical numpty so I let the AA do these things.
btw don't try to combine external plugs with anti-puncture gunges - the gunge pushes the plug back out very quickly!

sic58
Current Ride: nss300

Post by sic58 »

i had michelin 2ct s on my sym 200 they were fantastic