T-Max Motorway Fuel Economy

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

T-Max Motorway Fuel Economy

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Hey folks, very specific question here.

Fuelly can tell me what sort of average fuel economy a bike gets, and my own riding thus far tells me that I average around 60mpg on my T-Max. With a 15-litre tank that's just under 200 miles range, assuming it's brimmed (Yamaha don't publish usable capacity, so it could well be less).

I've got a 500-mile slog down the French autoroute in a few weeks and am planning my fuel stops, so I was wondering if anyone's done an extended 70-80mph run on one of these with the windshield up and can report back on what sort of economy/range I can expect? Every motorway I've used recently has been clogged with traffic and I end up averaging closer to 50mph, which is a very efficient speed compared to 80mph.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Re: T-Max Motorway Fuel Economy

Post by Pukmeister »

Not long-run mpg, but when I commute 12 miles each way with a cold start each time (3 mile urban warm up then a 9 mile long 70-80mph motorway dash) I get about 178 miles to a tank on super unleaded. I have Dr Pulleys 16gr weights and a malossi yellow compensator spring fitted, my belt has done 8000miles and will need changing soon.

On a sustained 70mph run with the initial cold start only, I'd wager that I could get another 15-20 mpg on that due to the one warm up and no wasteful accel/decel riding style.

On a long tour I would be tempted to carry a small 2 litre can of petrol under the seat just in case, I carry one on my BMW GS when I tour Europe. Pushing a bike (or scooter) is no fun.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I only get 60mpg when I'm being very gentle....ie a summer bimble on open roads sticking to speed limits!

As you know, speed is crucial to fuel consumption. I usually manage mid 50s on the mk6 (which is notably more economical than early versions) as long as I don't exceed 75-80 (ie keeping revs to 5500 or so). If you go beyond that fuel consumption rises exponentially. My record was 43mpg (on the mk2 I think) on a very fast winter trip to York doing almost the same speed on the single carriageway bits as the dual carriageway. Figures of 35mpg have been recorded by the throttle happy......

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Yikes, 35mpg on a run?! I think I managed that low a number on-track with my Street Triple, and that has more than double the power! I'll keep an eye on the fuel range/gauge and stop for petrol every 120 miles to play it safe. Once that part of the trip is done it'll be light bimbling for 2,500 miles, and I can get almost 70mpg out of the V-Strom under those conditions. I know that the CVT isn't as efficient as a gear/chain-driven transmission, but even so it'll be interesting to report back on what I find.

Thanks!
Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 am Yikes, 35mpg on a run?!
I should have mentioned that this was by a journalist....

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

MrGrumpy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:29 am
EvilRacer329 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 am Yikes, 35mpg on a run?!
I should have mentioned that this was by a journalist....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

An emergency bottle of fuel is always useful on long trips on the Continent. I used the Touratech 3 litre one which has a neck large enough to fill at the pumps, some of the smaller ones need a funnel to fill them.

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

I think I posted some BS earlier, having read my reply back to myself. I think its more like 135 miles to a tankfull ( I will check at next fill up).

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

newscooter wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:52 am An emergency bottle of fuel is always useful on long trips on the Continent. I used the Touratech 3 litre one which has a neck large enough to fill at the pumps, some of the smaller ones need a funnel to fill them.
It's not a bad policy to have; I've almost run dry more than once, but sadly luggage space always seems to be at an extreme premium... I've done most of my recent touring on either the Street Triple (small tank, zero luggage space) or on the V-Strom (200-300 mile tank range), so the T-Max is going to be new...

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

In theory, a range of 180 miles full-to-empty should be easily achievable - more with a light throttle hand! But the reserve light will be flashing from 155 miles or so.....