Tmax mk6 pillion comfort?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Nyarlathotep
Current Ride: Tmax mk3 and R1200RT

Tmax mk6 pillion comfort?

Post by Nyarlathotep »

As a happy owner of a mk3 Tmax I'm seriously considering buying a new mk6, in place of my big bike (an R1200RT) as my needs for long distance touring are lessening, plus it's a heavy beast!

My wife likes to travel pillion and would still do so for say a long weekend away if I swap to a new Tmax. Is the mk 6 any good for pillion comfort? She finds the mk3 OK, but not ideal as the wide tail end means her legs are splayed out. I'm guessing the later version is little different, but would be keen to hear from anybody with experience.

Alas, we can't even try sitting on one until we're next passing somewhere in the UK that stocks them (we live in the Isle of Man).

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tmax mk6 pillion comfort?

Post by MrGrumpy »

No direct experience. The general arrangement is going to be very similar, though there are going to be detail differences eg the pillion position on the mk6 is marginally higher than the rider position I think, unlike other versions. The rider's position is quite different though - there is more room on the mk6 and the rider is more upright than on the mk3.

fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Post by fullcirclemax »

The wife didn’t much like the mk3 seat, the Honda integra passenger portion looks much better for those short in the leg. That and other reasons would make the Honda our first choice.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I’ll certainly be considering the Integra. The trouble is finding the balance between fun for just me and being capable of carrying both of us in comfort occasionally. The Integra always seems a rather too serious and practical machine...

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

I will let you know; I bought a new(ish) Mk6 specifically for relaxed two-up touring. In a couple of weeks I'm heading out to Italy/Austria/Germany for a 2-3k two-week two-up trip. I'll be able to give you a full report then! :)

Nick

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 am I will let you know; I bought a new(ish) Mk6 specifically for relaxed two-up touring. In a couple of weeks I'm heading out to Italy/Austria/Germany for a 2-3k two-week two-up trip. I'll be able to give you a full report then! :)

Nick
Wonderful, I look forward to hearing about your trip. Hope you have a great time!

Filonian
Current Ride: Honda Integra 750

Post by Filonian »

We changed our BMW R1200RT for a Tmax (2014) for the same reasons as you.

I hardly ever get the chance to ride solo as my wife likes going out on the bikes as much as I do. She has always liked the Tmax. My wife is slightly built, but the width of the bike is not a problem for her. We have sat on others :- Burgman is far too wide for her and she hated the legs splayed position,. We have also sat on newer smaller machines but some of these are also too wide and the pillion seats are way higher than the riders which she also isn't keen on as she prefers to tuck in behind me. All in all, considering the luxury of the BMW, she hasn't complained about the comfort of the Tmax once.

What about the BMW C400's :wink:

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

The 2018 on burgman 400 is quite a lot narrower now for pillion, Mrs didn't like the older model seat, but loves our 68 plate it's really able two up which we are 90%of the time

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Filonian wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:41 am All in all, considering the luxury of the BMW, she hasn't complained about the comfort of the Tmax once.
Excellent news! I'm hoping this is true of the mk6 also. If not, a nice mk4 or 5 is certainly an option.
Filonian wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:41 am What about the BMW C400's :wink:
Horror stories about service costs has put me off somewhat :shock:
Snail wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:41 pm The 2018 on burgman 400 is quite a lot narrower now for pillion, Mrs didn't like the older model seat, but loves our 68 plate it's really able two up which we are 90%of the time
I do like the look of the new Burgman 400. It is down on power (but much, much cheaper) compared to a Tmax though. How are you finding the build quality?

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

It's ok not to Honda standard, finish not so good in my opinion, only had a couple of innovas and sh300, this is the best all rounder yet for us, we use it most days as main transport (No car), done 5000 miles since last October, not been on long trips maybe 200 miles in a day at most, had camping trip to exmoor, to Normandy, and ilse of Wight this BH coming, we picked it because had good loading allowance, low seat, and economics, fuel, tax, insurance, We don't set the fastest time anywhere being retired no need to so just cruise along around 60, 6000rpm ish, downside heavy 215kg, 4000 mile service intervals, we also have a Motor home and do trailer the scoot behind so any bigger would be hard work to load etc, it feels a bit old fashioned engine wise sounds noisey and harsh compared to the honda, but copes well, we have turned onto a 25% hill from standing many times and it just feels like it digs its heels in and gets on with it , gives you confidence, has good torque i think more important to me than speed, dont ask how fast never been there but 70 on motorway ok, i think a twin is always going to be better would like bigger but question of economics for us, any bigger and could run a car cheaper, not so much fun though, only our opinion many others hate them, who cares buy what suits your needs, for us it's hopefully a ten year keep, we don't chop and change like most seem to do?