Tmax CVT Recall

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Tmax CVT Recall

Post by MrGrumpy »

Thinking back to the Recall back in Feb where new model Tmaxs were fitted with a new CVT - did this include fitting a new Vee-belt? (not to be confused with the other recall where a new final drive belt was fitted!)

For some reason my Tmax wasn't covered by the original recall, but I've now managed to get my Tmax included in the recall, by means of some hidden negotiations between the dealer and Yamaha, given the other problems I've had (4 months off the road after a bearing failure) and I've had lots of 'funnies' with the CVT.
The dealer wasn't sure if the kit came with a belt or not - I guess its worth paying for a new one even if its not included as the labour will be free and the current one is half worn anyway.

bugsy
Current Ride: Honda 750x dct

Re: Tmax CVT Recall

Post by bugsy »

I have to admit to being confused about these recalls. In March I contacted Yamaha Uk telling them I had had the drive belt and flash update recall but other owners had been offered CVT replacements too.
Yamaha UK told me that dealers were asked to check the CVT during the final drive belt replacement work. My dealer hadn’t a clue about this advice and just fitted the final drive belt and completed the flash.
I followed your sorry story since March and as I have previously discussed, I found the attitude of your dealer and Yamaha totally abhorrent.
My next machine will not be a Yamaha. I firmly believe they have lost their way and if they are not careful many potential buyers.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

bugsy wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:25 pm I have to admit to being confused about these recalls. In March I contacted Yamaha Uk telling them I had had the drive belt and flash update recall but other owners had been offered CVT replacements too.
Yamaha UK told me that dealers were asked to check the CVT during the final drive belt replacement work. My dealer hadn’t a clue about this advice and just fitted the final drive belt and completed the flash.
I followed your sorry story since March and as I have previously discussed, I found the attitude of your dealer and Yamaha totally abhorrent.
My next machine will not be a Yamaha. I firmly believe they have lost their way and if they are not careful many potential buyers.
Yes, exactly the same in my case, I hadn't heard about the checking the CVT advice, and I suspect my dealer hadn't either! He's certainly never mentioned it, though he said he did check with Yamaha as to whether mine was covered by the CVT upgrade - especially as I previously been in there complaining about CVT issues (seeming to slip rather than drive when accelerating at high speeds, unpleasant metallic noises). When I got my Tmax back from the bearing failure issue, once it loosened up, it seems to be running fine - except that the CVT gremlins are still there - it works fine as long as you don't go above 5500 rpm or demand too much acceleration. I rang Yamaha Tech Support up to find out what problems the CVT upgrade was supposed to fix and why mine wasn't eligible when apparently similar ones were. The guy at Yamaha took some details and then suddenly became mysterious and told me to get the dealer to contact him 'for guidance', which intrigued the dealer immensely! It seems that discussions between the dealer and Yamaha took place over a couple of weeks and then the CVT upgrade became available on Yamaha's parts system for the dealer to order. I'm hoping that this will finally solve the issues.

My off-throttle surging issue (another long story in which no-one experiences the issues I report!) does seem much better (if not entirely cured) since the ECU upgrade / rebuilding of the scooter!

Although Yamaha haven't exactly covered themselves in glory, it must be admitted that with costs of the new final drive belt (£250 retail), a new CVT (£x00), and god knows what on the bearing failure, Yamaha have certainly not made any profit on my Tmax!!!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yeah, definitely get a new belt Grumpy even if you have to pay for it yourself. It's a no brainer. It will save you loads and your bike will go nicely for the next few thousand miles.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Hmm; that's worrying. The used Mk6 I've bought has had the final-drive belt and ECU recall, but this is the first I've heard of a CVT-based recall. My guess is that it's a "service bulletin" rather than a safety recall, and so they're not legally required to be proactive about it. I'll see how the bike performs on the trip and speak to my dealer when I return...

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

You could be right as it probably isn't a safety issue. I only heard about it on here - some owners were invited to have this CVT upgrade at the same time as the Drive Belt replace and ECU update (in Feb/Mar). It was said on here that a pulley was too soft and was bending, but that's all I know. My dealer HAD heard of it, but mine wasn't eligible (at the time) despite me complaining of CVT issues. I'll see what difference, if any, it makes.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

my recall did include CVT final belt and ecu flash . It did not include the V belt . Mine had been slipping but they did not replace it . Once done the rumble from inside went . If getting it done pay the £100 or so for the new belt and reset the belt reminder . Good for 12000 miles then

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

So it's just a problem with some of the belts fitted from the factory? No other parts involved?

Nick

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:55 am So it's just a problem with some of the belts fitted from the factory? No other parts involved?
Belt confusion!!! There was a recall for every mk6 for the final drive belt (to the rear wheel) - the original design was too weak it seems, and some maniacs broke theirs! There was also a recall for some mk6s for the CVT mechanism (not belt), which mine wasn't eligible for at the time, though its being done next week.

EvilRacer329

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Ah, I see. Keep us posted on the mechanism, what were the symptoms that indicated you had a problem with the CVT mechanism? It's a pretty simple piece of machinery, so I'm curious to know what's being changed...

Nick