NC750X DCT

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Re: NC750X DCT

Post by bikerdezzie »

2 white dct 750x in Honda Newcastle only 7k new in deal they have on.
Dezzie

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Post by halfabusa »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:30 am Chains I can help with. :D

Two things wear in this case; your chain rollers wear, causing the chain to 'stretch', and the sprockets wear on the leading edge, becoming 'hooked'. You've got to check your chain regularly to adjust the tension - every 500 miles or so at a minimum. Your chain is out of spec once you run out of adjustment on the swingarm, and will start requiring more frequent adjustments as it nears the end of its life, but your sprockets will likely be done before then. Chains can also stretch unevenly, necessitating early replacement. Too-tight chains can damage gearboxes and limit suspension travel, loose chains can snap or hop off sprockets, jamming wheels and shredding metal and flesh alike.

Chains and sprockets wear together, and so should be replaced as a set, or the more worn item will simply wear the new hardware even faster. The front sprocket will wear most obviously first, and as it's hidden behind a sprocket cover on most bikes it can easily be missed. A good quality chain, well maintained on a modestly powerful motorcycle (<=100bhp) could last 20-25k, but an abused one might require replacement at half that mileage.

Now, can someone chime in and tell me how to check and tension the belt on my new T-Max? Belts are new and weird! :D

Nick
Every 500 miles??? :o I only ever readjusted mine twice in 14k miles of use... It may be due to the auto oiler's efficiency and dct on a low powered bike but really never needed more than that.
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

halfabusa wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:01 am
EvilRacer329 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:30 am Chains I can help with. :D

Two things wear in this case; your chain rollers wear, causing the chain to 'stretch', and the sprockets wear on the leading edge, becoming 'hooked'. You've got to check your chain regularly to adjust the tension - every 500 miles or so at a minimum. Y

Chains and sprockets wear together, and so should be replaced as a set, or the more worn item will simply wear the new hardware even faster. The front sprocket will wear most obviously first, and as it's hidden behind a sprocket cover on most bikes it can easily be missed. A good quality chain, well maintained on a modestly powerful motorcycle (<=100bhp) could last 20-25k, but an abused one might require replacement at half that mileage.

Now, can someone chime in and tell me how to check and tension the belt on my new T-Max? Belts are new and weird! :D

Nick
Every 500 miles??? :o I only ever readjusted mine twice in 14k miles of use... It may be due to the auto oiler's efficiency and dct on a low powered bike but really never needed more than that.
Now with my mechanical numptiness, checking and adjusting chains every 500 miles is a real no-no and a good reason to stick to scoots with rubber bands! There again, I've also read that having an oiler does mean that adjustment is required much less often, though obviously I've no experience of this.

Nick - I think you've already mentioned how you'd remove and reinstall the final drive belt - its similar to any bike with a drive belt. Don't ask me what the correct tension is of course! I find that the belt doesn't need adjusting as it has to come off to change the rear tyre more often!!
The CVT Vee-belt doesn't need adjusting, just throwing away when it falls below a specified width.

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

These are very well spoken of - no personal experience though.
http://www.loobman.co.uk/index.asp
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

If you ever have to replace a chain and you are keeping the bike do yourself a favor and fit a DID Gold heavy duty one,
a little bit more expensive but after 1 or 2 adjustments wile it and the sprockets run in it will rarely given a squirt of oil
now and then need adjusting.
With final drive belts be wary of roads that have loose chippings, they can get between the belt and pulley braking
the belt, when they did the roads round here I saw 3 or 4 broken belts, they have just done a few roads again but
not seen any belts yet but the weather is keeping bike numbers down.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Ralph wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:13 am
With final drive belts be wary of roads that have loose chippings, they can get between the belt and pulley braking
the belt, when they did the roads round here I saw 3 or 4 broken belts, they have just done a few roads again but
not seen any belts yet but the weather is keeping bike numbers down.
Another reason to get aggravated about N Yorks CC's fascination with dumping stones over every road they can think of, even those they resurfaced fully the year before!
As for final drives, I think Yamaha had the perfect solution with the enclosed drive on the first 3 Tmaxs, then abandoned it in favour of stupid rubber bands!! :evil:

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

every long run i lube the chain. an never have to adjust very often . certainly not every 500. more often i just adjust when new tyres go on . an thats just as it's off anyway... the last chain i changed did 11,000 . which i thought pretty good life span.
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

orange1290
Current Ride: XMAX 300

Post by orange1290 »

phantom309 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:07 am every long run i lube the chain. an never have to adjust very often . certainly not every 500. more often i just adjust when new tyres go on . an thats just as it's off anyway... the last chain i changed did 11,000 . which i thought pretty good life span.
11,000 is not very good at all. A well maintained chain on a low powered bike should be good for at least 30,000. My KTM 1290 with 160hp still has its original chain from 2015 and 25,000, still in great condition.
2017 XMAX 300
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T
1974 Kawasaki H1E
1972 Kawasaki H1B

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I suspected that asking how long a chain lasts is like how long a piece of string is! What factors increase wear? Poor maintenance presumably, but speed? riding in poor weather? muddy grimy salty roads?? Riding like a loon (ie like I do!)??

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

One thing that governs chain life is the relationship between the swinging arm and therefore the rear sprocket
and the front sprocket, so on some the chain tension varies a lot more than others, I always have a second
check of tension with weight on the bike and if as it often is as tight as a Japanese Wrestlers Jock Strap I
back it off a touch no matter what the book says.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif