The end of the road

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

The end of the road

Post by Maxsymuppet »

I have done a lot of thinking before writing this post.

On the 11th of July I had a little mishap. I was backing out of a parking space (with the engine running) when the bike started to roll forwards. I went for the front brake but accidentally opened the throttle slightly, resulting in it ( with me standing by the side of it) shooting forwards and into a wall. I think the front wheel moved to the left, pulling my right arm sharply. The result was a dislocated shoulder. And believe me, there is nothing as painful as a dislocation. A fracture (I have broken my ankle twice) is nothing in comparison. I am still in constant pain now, and the strong painkillers prescribed by my doctor only numb it slightly. By the progress so far (not much) it looks like another month at least. I am of course off work. It is my right arm as well, and like most people I am right handed. Which adds further difficulties as my arm is in a sling and I don't have much movement in it.

To make things worse I was on holiday at the time, and I had to cut it short. Luckily I have recovery on my insurance so I could get the bike and myself home.

With breaking my ankle twice, my collar bone in 1997 and now this I have been thinking is it worth it? Together with coping with the winter (see my 'I'm giving up riding' topic from December 2017) and the other disadvantages such as lack of carrying ability. Overall I have lost enthusiasm and am thinking seriously of calling it a day. I don't want to risk another break. In fact after the last one I said to myself 'One more and that's it'. Well this is what has happened.

Will I regret it? Very likely. But I think I will get used to it. Besides which I think my confidence is shattered. I would be riding with the thought of a crash and another broken bone in the back of my mind. I have had some great rides, but all things must come to an end.

Deleted User 7077

Re: The end of the road

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Get a lighter one for just leisure use is my advice .

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Ah, Maxsymuppet, that's a crap mishap and one of those things life throws at us. The pain now and the rehabilitation will be the main thing on your mind right now I guess, notwithstanding your incapacity and having to stay at home. It's no surprise that you're feeling this way about the bike; I imagine that as we grow older - I bloody do at 53 - we feel more jaded and less excited about things, activities and new stuff in life, etc. Perhaps you are feeling this way with the scooter and going back to it, especially after your dislocation and the circumstances that caused it.

I can't help thinking that you backed the bike out of the parking space without thinking what you were doing i.e having the engine on. Simple to do, and I do things these days and curse myself for having not thought about how I approached the task with regards my thinking process or my waning strength or bloody aches and pains.

No one can tell you what to do but perhaps you need to get over the dislocation, have a rethink of how you approach things and dare I say it - consider a slightly lighter machine or even none at all. Your convalescence may take a while as you isolate the shoulder and try not to mope while doing so! :D But it will give you time to think about things eh? I don't suppose you've had an operation on the shoulder; I ask because I'm a bloody reluctant expert - I've had two operations on my right shoulder since recurring dislocation in the early 1980s; it hasn't stopped me doing things and riding but I have had to consider the shoulder over the years and the things I ask it to do.

Funnily enough, it was backing my GS 1150 away from a curb on a slight incline, in that heatwave in Europe 2004 - I was touring in Spain on the GS at the time - that changed my riding. I struggled with the weight of the bike and the heat and sold the behemoth the minute I got back to the UK. I've been riding lighter bikes and scooters ever since! No regrets, just a change in my approach.
BTW, my shoulder has been great for 36 years with just a little care - you'll be fine too with your shoulder and your decisions!

Tim

bugsy
Current Ride: Honda 750x dct

Post by bugsy »

Good advice from Capt Swipe.

Similar event happened to me eight years ago when the Vespa Gts 300 shot across the road hit the curb, climbed the pavement into a wire fence. I wouldn’t let go which was stupid.

Note to self, never start the engine without being astride a bike. A frightening experience.
I guess your bike needs a repair whatever you decide to do. I would sleep on it for some time before you make a decision you may regret later.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I've sold my Vespa GTS 300 and am currently scooter free. I had a heart attack in September last year and that did it for me. Swmbo was worried every time I was on it so I thought it'd be selfish to carry on. Plus my hip arthritis is playing up, yesterday I was told I'd likely need a hip replacement at some point. Having said that my Vespa replaced a Silverwing and I absolutely enjoyed very moment on it. They are such fun and very easy to cope with. if you are still keen give one a go. They put a smile on your face like no other vehicle I've owned.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Maxsymuppet wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:46 am Overall I have lost enthusiasm ..... . Besides which I think my confidence is shattered.
Sorry to hear this - I think you have put some key phrases in, which I've quoted. If you have lost your enthusiasm, then nothing is going to make you want to continue riding, and of course, you do need confidence to jump on and believe that you are going to get to your destination unscathed!

Personally, I always want to ride, even after the various mishaps, but you never know.

Maybe you will come to miss it after you stop and the aggravation of being stuck in UK permanent traffic jams will make you want to start again out of sheer frustration!!

Best wishes whatever..

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Some good points, especially regarding my work colleagues and indeed my employer. 'He's off work again because of that bloody bike.' There was a fair gap between my two ankle fractures (2011and 2013) and this but it adds up. They were on snow and ice respectively by the way, but I have been thinking that they may just as easily have been on diesel or loose gravel.

No, as I say I have been thinking and that's it. I don't enjoy riding as much as I used to, even without the spectre of a possible broken bone hanging over me. I don't have a car by the way, and haven't since I sold one to pay for my little Honda C90 back in 1996. 23 years - the end of an era! But I am decided. With one thing and another I am convinced I am doing the right thing.

Another thought that has been nagging me - backing out with the engine running and not being careful when I went for the brake was a stupid mistake. Which led to all this. Still, I can't change the past.

Damage to the bike - I haven't ridden it since due to lack of movement in my shoulder, but the wheel and forks look OK. I only hit the wall at about 3-4 mph and it didn't have my weight onit, so hopefully it's OK. I will see when I can ride again.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:40 am Get a lighter one for just leisure use is my advice .
Scarily, I find myself agreeing with Pikey! 8-)

Recently robbed of the ability to ride my 800 I've been riding my Cub more and picked up the small Burgman for 2-up and carrying stuff duties.

Thing is, I actually don't miss the weight of the bigger bike at all. When I did get out on it this year I found it heavy and unwieldy, which possibly meant was heading for a mishap not unlike yours at some stage.

Downsize and enjoy it again. Whatever you do, take care and I hope you find peace with your decision.

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Blimey is that me off the spammer watch list then . :lol: :lol:

Dogsbody
Current Ride: Burgman 400 Honda C125 400-4

Post by Dogsbody »

Triumph had this addressed in the 60s. The Triumph Tina had a microswitch under the seat, opening the throttle without sitting on it had no effect, it just ticked over. Surprised it isn't a requirement in these Health and Safety days. Dogsbody