Xmax Vs Forza. Round 2

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Xmax Vs Forza. Round 2

Post by StephenC »

So we all know the outcome of round 1: the Xmax engine wins by a mile in the 300cc class, being more powerful and economical than anything around.

But after 18 months of an Xmax and now my first night ride on the Forza I am calling the result of round 2: the headlight test.

It's a comprehensive victory for the Honda, no question.

It's well known that the Xmax dipped beam is poor, with little spread and depth. The main of course is pathetic and the rider would be better served reflecting the blue warning light forward than relying on the actual main beam itself.

The Honda' s headlights by comparison are just fine. They do what they should and whilst not as good as my old Satelis, they are good enough.

So the conclusion so far is that the Xmax is good, really good. Just crap for riding in the dark when you really need to have a Forza instead
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: Xmax Vs Forza. Round 2

Post by Symcity »

Both are exceptional scooters however the Yamaha sports the bluecore engine which I believe is far superior to the old Honda lump

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Symcity wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:37 am Both are exceptional scooters however the Yamaha sports the bluecore engine which I believe is far superior to the old Honda lump
No doubt about that. But as an overall package for someone who needs to ride on unlit roads it isn't a sensible purchase.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

It always absolutely staggers me that manufacturers can't get a basic but essential element like lighting right. There really is no excuse. It's just a poor show.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

There again, most smaller scoots are going to be used in urban areas on roads that are lit - so the effectiveness or otherwise of the headlights is mostly irrelevant. If you live in the countryside, tough luck!
I must admit I rarely ride in the dark these days, so headlight effectiveness of the Tmax isn't high on my priorities!
Going off on a tangent, I was in the car the other day and was overtaken by a naked bike of some kind with some sort of trendy modern small headlight - it may or may not be effective in lighting the road ahead but the small size of the light misled me to think that the bike was much further away than it really was....very clever tech, but possibly lethal!!!

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

MrGrumpy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:16 am There again, most smaller scoots are going to be used in urban areas on roads that are lit - so the effectiveness or otherwise of the headlights is mostly irrelevant. If you live in the countryside, tough luck!
I must admit I rarely ride in the dark these days, so headlight effectiveness of the Tmax isn't high on my priorities!
Yes no doubt that's where most will only ever be used. But I think when you step up to the 250/300 cc mark you should be able to expect the scoot can handle most things.

Still, if I didn't live in the countryside I would probably keep the Xmax on my "possibles" list.

The other factor to consider, if you don't do it yourself, is the servicing though. The Xmax requires attention every 3k whereas the Forza only every 8k. And I bought the service plan where three services are pre-paid for £600 (600, 9k, 16k). This includes the belt change too!

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Maybe you could do long term test review after every
8k service .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

StephenC wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:24 am

The other factor to consider, if you don't do it yourself, is the servicing though. The Xmax requires attention every 3k whereas the Forza only every 8k. And I bought the service plan where three services are pre-paid for £600 (600, 9k, 16k). This includes the belt change too!
Is the Xmax 3000 mile just an oil change, like the Tmax? If so its obviously not expensive, but of course, it all adds up.

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

it seems , to me anyway . LED lights are crap, you get a letter box shape beam of light. an that's it. i much prefer a proper old school light Bulb . it gives off a big circle of light an you can see loads more of the sides of the road as well as where your going .. i just don't get why LED lights are so crap on bikes.. ??????? if it was possible to convert my NC750s to a normal round head light i'd do it... they look better too.
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .