Do you think newer riders are missing out?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Re: Do you think newer riders are missing out?

Post by roadster »

From the age of sixteen I have enjoyed on average at least one different bike for every year and I can honestly say that I never regretted or disliked a single one of them. From the two speed moped that I hacked apart and rode around my grandfather's orchards to the various machines that were capable of 150 mph, or the very occasional win at a local race track, each one a learning experience. I still get a buzz out of getting hold of something new or different and I don't see any reason why that philosophy is not still available to new riders if that is what they choose. Realistically it might be very different in two or three decades time so we should count our blessings that we lived in the era of the internal combustion engine and the freedom to ride where and when we chose.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Yes good arguements and points made from everyone.

Going back to my main point, I'm asking do you think newer riders are missing out by not trying the huge range of smaller machines. Because it seems to me after talking to numerous newer riders, although some of them have been riding for 10 years or so, they have never ridden a bike smaller than a 500cc machine since their rider training. They then go straight on to 1000cc bikes or bigger. They simply have no notion of how smaller machines can stir the blood, how they go or how they handle. My bro in law is one of them. It seems they have this idea that motorcycling is all about POWER! Some of them use a 1200cc bike to ride 3 miles to work and back each day and think that they have reached the pinnacle of riding! They seems amazed I rode my GTS300 420 miles in one day to the NEC. They simply couldn't even contemplate riding their great big bikes more than 50 miles at a time. I actually wonder if that would change if they had a smaller, often more fun bike.

Most of us that turned up at the NEC on the day I went on the Vespa had ridden several hundred miles on bikes generally that were 500cc or less. Very few big machines there and quite a few 200cc and 300cc bikes, mine included.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

No Meldrew, you're not a real man if you don't go by bike!! :lol:

I've been to the NEC by car with several mates too. It can be very convenient. But it's equally easy by bike and free high security parking under cover too. Clearly most do go by car.

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

The amount of scooter thieves about already know the benefits of a good ped, i educated many a sportbiker on my tmax and after the last 6 years on 125 monkey size bikes i am all about the fun and many yoofs have enjoyed the grom and new monkeys as i run the groups and yes, some move on to bigger things but some come back as thry miss the fun, many older folks buying them and ditching big bikes in the process who get that wake up call its not all about speed, just have to look at trends now many chinese made mid range bikes are selling well, Royal Enfields flying out the doors etc as pricing from the big 4 jap makes are getting silly now and chinese have upped their game somewhat, maxiscoots still the anomoly they have always been and will never sell loads in the UK but the change in quality affordable bikes looks promising at the lower to mid range bikes can only be positive.
Dezzie

bn1966
Current Ride: Vespa GTV 300 SG

Post by bn1966 »

Had a conversation just this afternoon with a big CC riding younger rider regarding the fun to be had with a smaller capacity / framed bike / scooter (I:E my Vespa GTV)..he's seriously thinking about it..

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

A ride on one normally convinces most people! I've been responsible for our local dealer selling at least two GTS bikes in the last year because I let them have a quick go on mine. This resulted in the guys gong for a proper test ride at the dealer and buying. They go differently to how motorcyclist imagine them to ride.

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Few I know from Dudley went to Belgium rally .Scooter club of Liege put it on I think but was on the coast .

Deleted User 7077

Liege SC organised it

Deleted User 7077

They like the Hull route call it the party boat .

Deleted User 7077

We are off on Brittany ferries Pont Aven in October .I'm hoping its has a piano bar and can have tea and scones .lol