Honda Grom MSX125 first impressions

Chat about any motorbike here.
roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Honda Grom MSX125 first impressions

Post by roadster »

At last September the first arrived and i was able to take the new Grom out for a ride. The engine is amazing for an air cooled two-valve that started life over fifty years ago. At the running in stage I don't know what top end performance will be like but the mid range pulls quite well and the gear ratios ( 5-speed ) are spaced so that fourth covers anything from 30 mph up. I only needed 3rd for hill climbing once on the switchback country roads of West Sussex and Hampshire. Its a very small and light machine but quite comfortable for my average size of a little over 5ft 10. The effortless controls and tight turning circle are certainly appreciated by my ageing joints although the suspension can't quite iron out the local potholes.

Small wheels with fat tyres are very scooter like but it is surprising that the cornering turn in seems sluggish compared to the ultra lively Silence scooter. At the moment the gearchange quality can be slightly hit and miss. Most of the time it will snick through the gears but occasionally the up changes will baulk and once I was going along quite nicely but the gear indicator got confused and just showed a hyphen. It is also sometimes tricky to select neutral but this might improve with practice.

The attitude of some car drivers to something as small as the Grom is a bit worrying and even though I have often been travelling just on the high side of speed limits cars following close behind can seem a bit intimidating. I have added some extra running lights at the front and disconnected the strange Honda system which uses extra 5 watt filaments in both indicators simultaneously lit. I am also going to add some extra fluorescent yellow markings on a sort of fly-screen and possibly do something similar mounted on the rear rack when it arrives from Thailand.

I think I'm going to have a lot of fun going slowly on this unique machine and I would certainly recommend that you give one a try if you can.

Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Honda Grom MSX125 first impressions

Post by capitano »

We get a fair few Groms at C90club events.

If you fancy a camping weekend with a great Saturday ride out we're in the New Forest near Lymington 09-11 September.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Having put mirror extenders on my 125, I find rear vision much improved and therefore able to anticipate what's going on behind better.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

roadster
Benefactor

Post by roadster »

Dave Weller wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:28 am Having put mirror extenders on my 125, I find rear vision much improved and therefore able to anticipate what's going on behind better.
Thanks for reminding me those mirrors only show 50% of what's behind even when perfectly adjusted.
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

i sat on the old one at the excel bike show way back in 2020,no way its like sitting on the front forks,how ever the 2022 grom what a difference much better can sit on it fits well,
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

roadster
Benefactor

Re: Honda Grom MSX125 mods so far

Post by roadster »

Here in no particular order is a note of each addition or modification so far. If there is any particular interest in any of them please let me know and I will post details.

Running lights inside the front indicators disconnected and white LED running lights mounted on the instrument binnacle.
Small cowl for the instrument panel made on the 3D printer with fluorescent yellow vinyl facing forward.
Mirror stalk extensions fitted.
EBC HH brake pads front and rear.
Rear carrier fitted. ( Make is CPK supplied by Bikerzbits Thailand.)
Gear change link section replaced with rose jointed adjustable one. A huge improvement to the change quality.
(https://www.sfpartsltd.co.uk/honda-msx1 ... t-kit.html)

So far so good!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Gotta say the Groms do look good. Never ridden one to date but might try one if the opportunity arises. I'm over 6'1" tall with 33" inseam so I may not fit! Glad you are enjoying the bike Roadster.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

roadster
Benefactor

Post by roadster »

Data wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:36 am Gotta say the Groms do look good. Never ridden one to date but might try one if the opportunity arises. I'm over 6'1" tall with 33" inseam so I may not fit! Glad you are enjoying the bike Roadster.
Sounds like you are just under 3 inches taller than me so I couldn't be sure that you would be comfortable. Its a good riding position for me and has the advantage that the seat is level along its whole length so you can stretch around. The gear lever could do with being slightly longer for chunky boots ( or big feet?). But now that I have replaced the very crude linkage with a rose jointed one the change is precise and I only miss occasionally if I get tired or lazy on the action. I've just done the 1st service which was very straightforward apart from access to the top tappet which is obstructed by the air box. I absolutely love riding the minor roads and now I am opening it up it performs well enough to keep up with typical traffic except on steeper hills where top gear is not an option. Part of the enjoyment is that it always feels fast because it is so small then you look at the speedometer and realize you are not breaking the speed limit at all!

Finally its using very little fuel at 170 mpg. Yes I really am putting in 1 gallon of E5 every 170 miles.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Hi roadster, it sounds like you are having loads of fun on your Grom. 170mpg is amazing! I'm cursed :lol: with being tall and having big feet!! :o Although I found riding my Honda C50 and then my C90 very good fun and they were really comfortable and useful bikes, especially the C90. Put loads of miles on the C50 and 90. Stripped the C50 at 30,000 miles for a bottom end job. Had to replace the piston and barrel on it at 21,000 miles though. It was along time ago when I had that 50 and oil was like treacle in those days so I expect that played a part in shortening it's life. The C90 just seemed to go and go without needing anything doing to it.

Interestingly, my 650cc Triumph Bonneville of 1967 vintage which I bought new all those years ago also needed a motor strip at just over 30,000 miles. It was common to need new rings (even a rebore with pistons etc), new big end shells with a crank regrind in those days anytime from 30k onwards. Yet those little Hondas were amazingly resilient and tough little blighters! Just goes to show how the Japanese engineers got it so right and were so far ahead of us in designing bike engines that lasted. We stuck with long stroke low revving bikes for far too long just like many of our car manufacturers did. This lumbered them with high piston speeds and other stresses that wore them out fairly quickly.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

roadster
Benefactor

Post by roadster »

Interesting post Data. A few days ago I took advantage of the last summer weather to ride the Grom and the Mash 400 back to back. They have more in common than might be imagined because the Mash engine is a modernised version of the Honda radial four valve single which was designed in about 1975. Honda wanted to produce a single with some of the characteristics of the British big single such as dry sump and separate oil tank. But they used their normal manufacturing and design standards to produce better performance and reliability. The Chinese (Shineray) version of this engine introduced fuel injection and just enough modernisation to meet current regulations.

The Mash is slow for a 400 and the Grom is fast for a 125. The Grom is very easy to ride and the only challenge is maintaining speed on inclines. Accepting the performance limitation the ride is unfailingly enjoyable and stress free. The Mash has the advantage that it is reasonably capable on dual carriageways where the Grom should never go, but riding is a far bigger challenge and correspondingly can feel more rewarding and exciting. Its surprising that Honda have managed to transform a very old fashioned two valve air cooled single in to an engine which feels and performs in a completely modern way. The Mash by contrast feels like it was made 50 years ago.