Bloody Batteries!!!!!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Bloody Batteries!!!!!

Post by MrGrumpy »

More bizarre events due to joys of Electrickery....

Today I had a lunch appointment, and was going to take the mk6 Tmax. Go in the garage, disconnect the trickle charger, turn the smart key on, switch the scoot on to unlock it - everything totally normal. I wheel the scoot out, switch off and fit the topbox. Then switch it back on to set off...and there's nothing, absolutely nothing. Not a light, not a click, not a whirr - utterly dead as a dodo.
Smart key battery apparently OK - key switches on and off. Fortunately scoot is unlocked (completely) and so I can wheel it back into the garage, reconnect the trickle charger, and take the mk3 Tmax instead.

Visions of smart locking system failure and other expensive problems.

When I return, try it again, and its still dead. However, I notice that the charge indicator on the CTEK trickle charger has still only reached 2 lights out of the normal 5 or 6, despite being on charge for the last 2 hours or so, and the battery should have been fully charged before that anyway. I'm not a mechanic but I diagnose that the scoot battery has failed - but I'm a bit baffled as to why it was seemingly OK first thing, but then failed completely 3 minutes later. I suppose I should be grateful it failed when the scoot was unlocked, as I'm not sure how you'd move it if it was locked. Of course I can't lock it now either!

Bloody batteries! And we are supposed to depend on these wretched things for everything in a few years!

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: Bloody Batteries!!!!!

Post by StephenC »

Oh dear. At least it's an easy fix that you can sort yourself.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

How old is the battery Grumpy? Sounds like a cell or pole has failed completely. It normally just happens if it's a pole. Ok one minute, gone the next! Had the same thing on my new car. Usually a pole fails when the battery is older due to corrosion/sulphation. A cell can also go at anytime but usually gives a bit of a warning in the form of turning the motor over from cold in a more laboured way which gradually worsens sometimes quickly or sometimes over a longer period. Your charger is telling you the batt is buggered I suspect. Don't worry though, EV batteries are far more robust. Hope you get it sorted quickly.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

The battery is the original one from June 2017 I think, so 5.5 years old. It been invariably on a trickle charger when not in use....don't know if it did much good in the end or not!

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Not bad going, I guess.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

MrGrumpy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:29 am The battery is the original one from June 2017 I think, so 5.5 years old. It been invariably on a trickle charger when not in use....don't know if it did much good in the end or not!
Given its very sudden demise it's likely a pole corroded through & it's still sustaining a complete circuit of sorts which is why your charger is getting to two lights. Don't keep trying to charge it in case it explodes!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Data wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:56 pm Don't keep trying to charge it in case it explodes!
That's good to know! Fortunately I had taken it off the charger, though due to the futility of charging it, than the explosion risk!