+ marks the pot

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

+ marks the pot

Post by knight2 »

I may be missing the obvious, again :roll: but what is the purpose of the brake pistons with the + on the end. Le dude says they must be lined up square with the caliper, but why. The one on the back caliper of the Burgman I think is the piston the operates the parking brake. But if I remember right there's one on the front as well, maybe something to do with linked brakes, I think, maybe I should give up thinking it dosen't always end well :lol:

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Re: + marks the pot

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I know some rear brake cylinders with parking brakes have screwdriver slots on the pistons to screw them into position before the brake can be operated

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

This is something which I've learnt over the years - if I don't understand why someone who is more expert than me says to do "X", then do "X". If one day I can work out why X is the right thing to do, then great. The wrong approach is to not do whatever it was and then find out the hard way why it mattered :lol:

Not sure I've explained myself clearly but hopefully it made sense. :?

And yes, I did learn some things the hard way :oops:
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

2wheelover51 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:00 am I know some rear brake cylinders with parking brakes have screwdriver slots on the pistons to screw them into position before the brake can be operated
I think your right though they are a bit big for a screwdriver, I used the pointy bits of an open ended spanner which seemed to fit quite neatly. I would like to know how to set it up properly, will have to have a look on you tube.
StephenC wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:08 am This is something which I've learnt over the years - if I don't understand why someone who is more expert than me says to do "X", then do "X". If one day I can work out why X is the right thing to do, then great. The wrong approach is to not do whatever it was and then find out the hard way why it mattered :lol:

Not sure I've explained myself clearly but hopefully it made sense. :?

And yes, I did learn some things the hard way :oops:
Yeah I do like to know the why's and the where for's and yes I have found out the hard way more than once :D
Thanks for the replies always appreciated.