TMAX 530 DX 02 sensor replacement

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Capelli32
Current Ride: Honda X-Adv 750

TMAX 530 DX 02 sensor replacement

Post by Capelli32 »

Hi, my O2 sensor failed some time ago - anyhow eventually got round to fitting a new one a few hundred miles ago. So far so good but its not a genuine Yamaha part but this:

O2 Oxygen Sensor 1WS-00 1WS00 BC3-8592A-00 BC38592A00 BC3-8592A-00-00 For Yamaha MT-10 MT10 RN45 T-MAX XP530 2016-2020

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 18025SFqzc

Was £32 delivered, came within 2 weeks.

Cable was about a metre long! and the connectors were in the wrong holes but after swapping them around it worked.

I'll let you know when it breaks or melts a piston!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: TMAX 530 DX 02 sensor replacement

Post by MrGrumpy »

Thats interesting. O2 sensors are obviously yet another weak component on later Tmaxs. Of course, dumbo here paid the thick end of £200 for a genuine Yamaha part when it failed on my 2017 mk6.
I'd also tried a bit of electronics which makes the FI ignore the O2 sensor, but that was disastrous - ran badly and fuel consumption went from high 50s mpg to mid 40s!
I've had Chinese radiators off ebay on at least 2 Tmaxs before now - as with your experience, they usually require minor mods to make them fit, but the general quality seemed good, and I've had no problems.
Aliexpress seems to sell every part you could possibly need or want.... You never quite know about quality, but the price difference means that its normally worth trying. The radiator from ebay was around £60 compared to several hundred from Yamaha!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

As long as you get the right voltage, number of wires feeding it ie: 2, 3 or in some few cases 4 wires it'll usually work fine. Most these days are of the heated version enabling better mixture control when the motor is cold so it looks as though you are good to go. You are unlikely to ever melt a piston as the bikes ecu only takes oxygen readings from the lambda up to around 3/4's engine revs after which the bike switches to full flow injector and air pressure. That never changes so at full throttle you ain't going to get any problems and they tend to run slightly rich anyway. Prior to 3/4's engine revs the mixture flip flops between weak and rich as you regulate the throttle, but overall allowing roughly the right fuel air mixture. How long that part lasts is another matter as the 'active' lambda coating on some Chinese parts isn't very good and wears away quite quickly.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Capelli32
Current Ride: Honda X-Adv 750

Post by Capelli32 »

The bike certainly runs better now with an O2 sensor that works, and its nice not seeing the check engine light on!

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Exactly, you fixed it! And for a fraction of the cost of the Yamaha part. If that one does fail early you can simply buy another cheapy.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Data wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:01 am Exactly, you fixed it! And for a fraction of the cost of the Yamaha part. If that one does fail early you can simply buy another cheapy.
...and if my super expensive Yamaha replacement part fails again, I can try Aliexpress this time! One wonders if there was a faulty batch, or was it crap design?

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

It's annoying Grumpy that they cost so much money from main dealers. You can expect most lambda's to last 40-60,000 miles on a bike. If the bike isn't used for normal bigger mileages the lambda will fail that bit earlier due to corrosion of the sensor and/or the heating elements corroding through. It's an electrical item and like a light bulb, they either last a long time or go fairly early.

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

Most Lambda probes are made by NTK (part of NGK spark plugs group in Japan).
Its worth trying to cross-reference your OE part with an NTK part if you can find a catalogue online.
Last time my old 2009 'hexhead' BMW GS had a Lambda probe failure, BMW wanted silly money for one. The identical NTK 4-wire sensor in an NTK cardboard box was less than half the price of the exact same item in the BMW cardboard box. It even came with the correct BMW loom connectors and in the right cable length.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Exactly. Good info Pukmeister.