Test Ride Honda X ADV 750

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Test Ride Honda X ADV 750

Post by velocipede6295 »

Been to view a 2017 Honda X ADV 750. My main concerns with scooters, and bikes in general ( 72 yrs of age and 6'3") are low seat height / causing back pain, hard seats / hard suspension, and windblast at higher speeds. I do like a bit of comfort these days!
I have sat on it in the showroom, and although it would have been better for me with another inch or two extra distance between the foot boards and the seat, it was not too bad. It certainly has more room for me than my 300 Forza, but the seat felt a bit, shall I say, firm? I think the suspension is reportedly better than other bikes in the NC range.
Anyway, they are letting me take it out for an hour in a couple of days, to see if I like it. I welcome any views from current / past owners on your experiences / what to look for on my test ride.

five50
Current Ride: xmax300

Re: Test Ride Honda X ADV 750

Post by five50 »

Have no direct experience - but would assume that aftermarket seats would be available for a bike as popular as this?

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

I had a 2018 ADV at 5’7’ i did manage ok,i have the advantage of being large so helps to lower the bike🤓flat footed one side on the ball of my foot the other side,I couldn’t use my Airhawk seat cusion though😁 you’ll probably have to have the screen on its highest setting or may prefer the after market screen to avoid wiind blast/buffering/noise,you’ll struggle to get a helmet under the seat,so if you don’t like carrying it about a top box may be required,you’ll have no trouble keeping up with traffic,i enjoyed the DCT gearbox,i know some people dont,the DCT has been updated on the new models,i would say the wieght could possibly be an issue 237kgs,getting it on the centre stand and wheeling it around,once on the move its ok,I currently ride the Forza 750,the wieght is about the only issue i have with it,i found the suspension ok as it came out the shop,so didn’t fiddle about with it,do you carry a pillion,if so take them on the test ride to check they are comfortable and have enough room,good luck with the test ride,give us a report on your thoughts.

Roadrunner(Roger) has just got a new ADV,he’s your age and about 6’2-6’3’….once he pops on to the forum,see what he says.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

The seat on the X-ADV is certainly high - or feels it. It seemed an awful long way down to the ground when I tried to put my foot down! But I reached ground in the end, and I'm only average height, so you shouldn't have any difficulty if you are 6'3".
I've no real experience of the seats - I didn't notice anything particular about the seat on my X-ADV testride, though I've read several reports that people find the seat on the similar NC750X very hard. The thing I wouldn't like on the X-ADV is keeping those wretched wire wheels clean!

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

I don't have problems with a high seat, and can put both feet flat on the ground on any bike I have sat on, the problem as a taller rider on a scooter, is too short a distance between the seat and footboards,which puts my knees higher than my hips, and causes low back ache. The X ADV wasn't too bad in this respect when I sat on it in the showroom, as my knees were only very slightly higher than my hips. I'm not too concerned about keeping the spokes clean, but I do prefer cast wheels, but hey ho - it has spokes.
I would like to still ride bigger capacity motorcycles, but can no longer change gear or cope with footrests without pain / discomfort, due to a foot problem, so an automatic bike with floorboards is the best option for me these days, and at my height/size the X ADV is one of the biggest available "scooters".
I have been riding the 300 Forza now for about 18 months, and 5k miles, and I can cope with it's relative small size (for me), which has the benefit of being light to move around. I don't however need to push a bike around much, as I can back my bike out of my garage sitting astride it whilst "paddling" with my feet, so I should be able to cope with the weight of the X ADV.

If I find the seat too hard I can try my sheepskin seat cover, or get a gel pad. The bike I am testing, is already equipped with a rack and top box.
I have had experience of Honda DCT gearboxes, and although I prefer CVT, I am limited as to what bikes I can ride, and think I could get used to the DCT.
I have got an insurance quote to add the X ADV to my policy and it will be an extra £134 which is OK for me.
Anyway, I'll see how it goes tomorrow on the test ride.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

My recollection of the X-ADV is that the riding position felt very natural - not feet forward like a Tmax, but slightly forward / relatively upright. As I said, it instantly felt natural to me, even though it was different to the Tmax, but maybe that's because my size is more average than yours!

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

You have a lot of choice if you are average height!

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

Test ride went well, although, as has been said, it certainly is tall ( and heavy!). The seat was fine, and I had a decent amount of room. Did the deal, and I collect it tomorrow.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

That's rapid! Congrats

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

Thanks. It's a good clean bike, "67" reg, 9k miles, with a full Honda service history (5 stamps), last serviced by Honda dealer 400 miles ago, was well priced, and for sale not far from me, so I decided to go for it.