Returner to Burgers

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
eric1789uk
Current Ride: an 400 L1

Returner to Burgers

Post by eric1789uk »

Hi there, I've just ordered another burger and chucking out my Nc750x.
After 6 years or so of cleaning, adjusting and oiling chains I got peeed off, especially as I managed to get a great splodge on my newly block paved drive which took an eternity to clean before Mrs F saw it...
anyway Padgetts of Batley have them greatly discounted so not worth buying a nearly new model. coupled with the first 3 services free makes it worthwhile for me. Not so keen on the colour choices though and went for the matte black option.
2 quick questions...... any things to keep an eye out on the new model, I know the older 385 engine tended to use oil....
and also whats the best way of keeping the matte paintwork looking good. regular auto polish is a no-no I believe.

thnks in advance
Eric F
My other bikes have pedals
I've been ugly bunched

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: Returner to Burgers

Post by Data »

Hello Eric, & congratulations on the new bike decision.

As a confirmed fan & ex owner of the Burgman 400's & an ex Burgman tech I can tell you there is nothing for you to concern yourself with. They are one of the most reliable & robust bikes on the market. Main thing is regular servicing & make sure to use plenty of throttle when moving off to allow the clutch to lock up quickly. Otherwise the clutch produces lots of clutch dust that leads to clutch judder when moving off. The clutch drum should be cleaned of dust & the clutch shoes deglazed at regular intervals. The exact mileage of when to do this will vary according to rider technique & the use the bike is put to. I did mine every 7,500 miles when changing the gearbox oil as you already have the transmission case removed for the oil change. It's an easy DIY job but dealers will do this for you if you cannot diy, but you have to ask them to do it as it's not a service listed item.

Even the early 385cc bikes were good with many of my friends owning them. If you use the Burgman USA site you'd be forgiven for thinking they (the 385cc motors) all used lots of oil. This is not the case. Most used very little oil. In the states however it seemed to be different. Our American friends tend to use the wrong often cheaper diesel engine oil in the motors. This is usually Shell Rotella fully syn diesel oil. This isn't designed for higher revving petrol engines & does cause extra engine wear when used, inspite of what hardened users of that oil will tell you. Shell tells everyone not to use it in any scooter or motorcycle engines. The motors tended to burn that type of oil off more quickly. This was made worse by the engine crankcase breather valve sometimes blocking up causing increased crankcase pressure further causing the motor to burn oil. This blocking of the valve was also aggravated by use of the wrong oil. Over here in the UK it wasn't really a big issues.

The motors can easily cover 100,000 miles if serviced correctly. So buy, use, enjoy!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Post by riders in the storm »

I have the matt black burgman 400. I either just wash the bodywork with soapy water ( car shampoo not Fairy) then dry it off, or occasionally wipe it all over except the footrests and handlebar grips with a micro fibre cloth with some Mr Sheen on it......
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X

eric1789uk
Current Ride: an 400 L1

Post by eric1789uk »

Cheers fellas.
My other bikes have pedals
I've been ugly bunched