Nautilus horn on a 2020 Burgman 400

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
PhilD
Current Ride: 2020 Burgman 400Z

Nautilus horn on a 2020 Burgman 400

Post by PhilD »

Has anyone fitted a Nautilus to a 2020 Burgman?
Looking under the screen and top cover, there is very little access to get to anything, though on the upside, l have found where the alarm was fitted!
I’m thinking the only access would be to remove the front panel and light assembly, to allow access from underneath.
The reason for wanting to fit it, is that l get ignored on the roads, even if l sound the Noddy horn fitted as standard on the bike.
I fitted one to my daughter’s Fiat 500 to great effect. They don’t ignore her now!

Any advise would be appreciated. (Preferably not don’t fit it).

Regards

PhilD

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Re: Nautilus horn on a 2020 Burgman 400

Post by Waldorf »

I fitted one on my X9500 some years ago and enjoyed using it!
I wouldn't dream of telling anyone what he should or shouldn't do but I came to the conclusion that if I sounded a horn appropriate to a 16-wheeler, the driver whose attention I was trying to attract looked for a 16-wheeler, not a motorcycle.
It's my experience and thought; no more, no less. ;)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

I had one on my last burger. It is fiddly to fit but I knocked up a bracket with some spare stainless steel straps (thin ones) I had and fitted that to existing fitting on bike after removing the pathetic beeper bike manufacturers seem to love!
Just remember to fit it so open part of horn faces downward as otherwise it’ll get water in it (don’t ask :lol:)

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Thanks for your comments.
Having taken what appeared to be about a hundred screws and clips off the bike, l had the front headlamp and nose assembly on the floor.
Looking around and trying every which way up, l have come to the conclusion that a nautilus will not fit anywhere behind the headlights.
It is totally crammed with cable harnesses, the front brake system, or all plastic. There is nothing to bolt onto and the space is too small.
I tried in the area where the Noddy horn is located, and it fouls the forks at full lock. A rethink is in order.

riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Post by riders in the storm »

Years ago I used to fit triple air horns to all my cars and got great pleasure at hooting them angrily at anyone that annoyed me.........

As the years passed I came to think several things, including that nowadays anyone you hoot at seems to take it as an invitation to a confrontation, certainly not something I want on a bike, there will only be one loser, secondly I tend to approach riding or driving as every one else on the road is an idiot and try to drive extremely defensively, hooting at them is pointless, they are pig thick stupid and will still be after you have hooted at them. Finally I sometimes found they lived near me and I ended up worrying they would come and key my car or brick the house. You may live in a more upmarket neighbourhood than me.....?

However if you really ( still) want to give people a good blast, have you looked at the Denali Sound Bomb. It's designed for bikes so may be a bit more compact........!
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

I see the point of view that to sound a loud horn at someone can be a provocation to a confrontation, but l am looking at it as a voice of last resort.
Traffic around here, (l am sure they do it everywhere), has a habit of chopping vehicles off when approaching slip roads on dual carriageways, even if no vehicles behind you, and without indication, and a bike appears to be an open invitation.
I also live in an area of about 6 secondary schools, all of which have pupils with a death wish. Glued to their phones and prone to stepping out in front of you at the last second. At least a loud horn would get their attention before being mowed down.
I also ride as though everyone is out to kill me, and over the years some have tried.
Even filtering is only done when queues are stationary, and if l really need to be somewhere.
Otherwise its admire the view, listen to the rap music coming from the cars and vans, and breathe in the weed fumes.

More plastic has been taken off the bike, and a nautilus definitely will not fit. But l have a plan B. More to follow.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

That makes sense.
My senses regarding inattentive pedestrians have been challenged and heightened since I started riding my silent (electric) moped.
It's even worse now the summer has come; after all, eating one's ice cream takes priority over everything, including looking where one is going! ;)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Like Waldorf I have had some near misses on the electric scooter. Most recently a crash stop to avoid a teenager on a bicycle who did not so much as glance in my direction before leaving the pavement and riding across the road at right angles to the normal direction of travel. Presented with this I slammed on the brakes and had the rear of the scooter stepping out of line as it practically became airborne.
Impersonating a 30 ton truck could be a good idea and fun in any case.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Well, the idea of fitting the Nautilus didn’t work as there is not enough room.
So, …. I had a look in Halfords for an alternative, and found something similar to the one already fitted to the bike, but in high and low tone.
Trying them out on a spare battery … absolute rubbish! (They will be going back).
As l need to use the bike this week, l have reassembled it. (What clown designed the shock mounts for the windscreen?).
All screws back where they ought to be, and none left over. (Result).
I haven’t given up on the idea of frightening the life out of errant pedestrians, and am now searching for something that will fit where the original horn goes, but much louder.
I will not be beaten by a (mostly) inanimate object!