Head or heart?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Mister Paul
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Head or heart?

Post by Mister Paul »

I sold my ADV350 in Feb as I wasn't using it enough for the money that was in it. I bought a 2006 PX125 to play with.

Now I'm missing a motorway scooter. I've found a 5 year old sh300i for not much over 2k. I've had one before and it was one of my favorite maxi scooters. But I've also seen a Vespa 300gts for not much more.

So do I go for Honda reliability and winterness or get the better looking Vespa?

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: Head or heart?

Post by Data »

Vespaaaaa...... :lol

If you like DIY on your bike then the Vespa has it. What year is the Vespa though. After 2014 they got really good. Massive improvements to almost every aspect of the bike. Earlier bikes were quite ok but only had a 16bit ECU which caused some slight issues & it didn't have the extra midrange torque that 2014 bikes onwards had. Also the later bikes had abs & traction control.

Honda is ok but ride comfort is surprisingly poor over rough roads compared to the Vespa. Yeah, seems contrary to what you'd expect!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Now I know nothing about Vespas, but I used to have a SH300. Describing the SH300 has having 'winterness' baffles me as I found it the coldest, most wind blown uncomfortable scoot I've ever owned! Even with a big screen! And cramped! I'd look for a Forza 300/350 if you can find one at the right price - much more comfortable, especially at m-way speeds.

scootabout
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 350

Post by scootabout »

I also know nothing about Vespas (apart from them looking cool). I'm also rubbish at DIY maintenance. I've had three SH300's though and would say that with a Givi screen and heated gloves, they are pretty good on motorways in winter. They also seem to stand up reasonably well to lack of cleaning (although I do ACF-50 mine quite a lot). I prefer my SH300 to my Forza 350 on motorways, due to the buffeting from cross winds, although the extra luggage capacity is often the decider. The price of the SH300 seems quite good.

If I were following my own heart, I'd try a Vespa, but have had a Piaggio off the road most of a summer while everyone scratched their head trying to work out what was wrong, my head says maybe not...

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

had both, loved them both, go on the GTS owners forum on F/B for an look at owners thoughts. If I had Data's skill set I would have a GTS, but I dont so the SH is the safer bet imo.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Vespa - predictable
Honda - boring

Get a Kawasaki J300SE.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should