Stolen and recovered

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Dr Gonzo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650

Stolen and recovered

Post by Dr Gonzo »

Well, that was an interesting Sunday morning. My mobile phone starts ringing at 4:45. It's Datatool calling to alert me to the fact my GPS tracker has been activated. I call the police and it's all systems go.

Half an hour later I'm collecting my TMax from a lock-up, ironically, behind the local magistrates court. Thankfully, no real damage done. the charger lead for the Oxford solariser has been cut, the Oxford alarmed disc lock, bike cover and solar charger are gone and the Oxford Nemesis lock and chain are trashed; one link cut through and heavy angle grinder abuse on the lock itself.

Guess I'l be going shopping later for a new lock and chain, cover and solar charger.

It's so annoying. When I went out yesterday morning I noticed the cover was partly off and thought to myself someone's been checking the scooter out. Quickly followed by well it's okay I've got two locks on it!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Stolen and recovered

Post by MrGrumpy »

Phew....its alarming that your locks and chains seem not to offer much resistance to a well equipped thief!

Dr Gonzo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by Dr Gonzo »

This is the state of the lock. Is it worth £170? It was listed as Sold Secure Gold rated. No idea where the alarmed disc lock went.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Yes…..the scumbag society like the tmax’s,when my one got stolen the Oxford chain was cutwith their favourite tool,the cordless angle grinder,i too had paid the subscription for the Datatool tracker,the bike was found within the hour by the police ,along with too other stolen bikes,a transit van and the angle grinder,in a block of garages along with 3 ‘orrible little scrotes,after 6 months I received a text from the police telling me the CPS were not intending to prosecute as there as wasn’t enough evidence to garantee a win🤬🤬

I have since upgraded the lock and chain to the Almax 22mm and squire ss80 lock,expensive but difficult to cut,the scrotes have without a doubt returned to try their luck again but the Almax chain must’ve been a deterrent(i think)

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

Sadly a determined thief will have the tools and skills to defeat almost any lock or chain, but at least you didn't make it easy for them.

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

I'm glad to hear you recovered your bike so quickly, out of interest how many people here have a tracker on theirs? I have often thought about getting one installed but have always been put off by the price and subscription (which a bit of an oxymoron I know)

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

Sad News.
Have you seen the latest Litelok Locks, they look very impressive against Angle Grinders 🙂

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

OneFootInTheGravy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:17 pm I'm glad to hear you recovered your bike so quickly, out of interest how many people here have a tracker on theirs? I have often thought about getting one installed but have always been put off by the price and subscription (which a bit of an oxymoron I know)
My 1250GSA has a Datatool tracker and is garaged with CCTV, chained up with 14mm chain and a Squire SS50 lock to a ground anchor, but then it is worth quite a bit of money.

I haven't bothered fitting one to my Tmax as its only worth a couple of grand and is my daily ride. It does get locked and alarmed/immobilised when out and about though.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Pukmeister wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:15 am
I haven't bothered fitting one to my Tmax as its only worth a couple of grand and is my daily ride. It does get locked and alarmed/immobilised when out and about though.
Have you looked at used Tmax prices recently??? Your Tmax is probably appreciating rather than depreciating! Unless its a complete wreck its probably worth at least £3k, and maybe closer to £4k!