Top up coolant reservoir Honda X ADV 750

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Top up coolant reservoir Honda X ADV 750

Post by velocipede6295 »

I want to top up the coolant reserve tank on my X Adv 750, which is pretty inaccessible. The handbook shows that you need to remove the front lower panel to gain access. There is a video on you tube where the poster tries to remove this panel but has difficulty, and has had to also loosen the foot boards panels to do so, and says it is tricky. It seems a right faff just to add a bit of coolant. Has anyone else topped their coolant tank up, and if so how did you do it? Thanks - Malc.

steeve139
Current Ride: Honda Forza 750

Re: Top up coolant reservoir Honda X ADV 750

Post by steeve139 »

Hi, I have the Forza750 and I have topped up my coolant. I know it isn't exactly the same bike, but it is very close.

I check my coolant level by putting a little LED worklight behind the coolant reserve tank, and peering in from near the front wheel.

I bought Honda coolant from eBay. It stays fine to use, even in an opened container for years and years.

When I top it up (very infrequently) I have to take off the engine front plastic cover. Some of those funny little plastic pins - and I bought some simlar ones on eBay after breaking a couple of the Honda ones. There are about 4 allen key head screws to remove. A bit of wiggling, and then the cover comes off. Then to add the coolant I first put it into a 100cc shringe I bought off eBay (it was meant for hydroponics). Then you can remove the reserve tank cap, and using plastic tube on the shringe you can squirt the coolant in. Top it up to the upper level, and try to look at it every 2 months. Buy the shringe that comes with the tube.

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

Hi Steeve,

I didn't get any response to my post until yours, 6 months on, so I thought very few, if anybody on here had done it, so I figured it out, very similar to what you did.
I shone an LED torch from behind/underneath the coolant tank reserve tank which was not easy to see, but I then closed my garage door to make it darker
in my garage, lay on the floor, and there is a small cut out on the bodywork in front of the coolant tank reservoir, through which I could see the coolant level. I didn't find it easy ( these days I can get down a lot easier, than I can get up again!). I bought a mini pump gear and oil filler, which has thin metal curved tube attached to a thin plastic pipe. I reached through the slats at the front of the engine/radiator with some water pump pliers and slackened off the reservoir cap which was tight, and I filled it to the upper level using the mini pump, and replaced the cap.
I have checked the level several times since, and it has not altered over about 2,000 miles. Thanks for your response.
How are you liking your Forza 750?

steeve139
Current Ride: Honda Forza 750

Post by steeve139 »

Hi, well, I love the Forza 750. The ride is good, and the mpg is great. Yesterday I rode to Lowestoft. It was 85 miles each way, which adds up to 2 gallons. I did stop for food, but I didn't stop for fuel. I had wind protection from head to toe, a comfortable saddle, the underseat storage. It was a lovely ride.

Most of the listed pre-ride checks, and some of the 8000 mile service items I carry out as a monthly inspection. So Tuesday evening I checked the fluid levels, and other easy-to-do items. I also cleaned and oiled the chain.

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

Sounds a perfect bike!