Stolen Forza 750 in London and what bike should I now buy

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
YetAnotherMuppet
Current Ride: x-max

Re: Stolen Forza 750 in London and what bike should I now buy

Post by YetAnotherMuppet »

@kegelban Can I ask you approximately where in London the bike bay was, and at what time? I'm assuming local CCTV only caught people wearing balaclavas and riding a stolen scooter?

To elaborate on what I had said before:

You had an Almax series III chain, so 16mm.

You can check on the Sold Secure website:
https://www.soldsecure.com/approved-pro ... _types=165

but only 22mm and 25mm chains are rated sold secure motorcycle diamond.

The 13mm, 16mm and 19mm ones are rated motorcycle gold.

But the 22mm and 25mm cannot be carried around and won't fit most wheels.

So I thinks the best security remains a tracker (maybe monimoto) + diamond ulock, which you can carry around, possibly combined with a gold chain to be left fixed outside your home or office.

This still leaves you exposed to the risk that they may come with a van, cut the gold rated chain there and then, load it onto the van, and worry about the motorcycle diamond rated ulocks later. Possible? yes. Likely? I doubt it - unless you have an MV F4 Serie Oro :D it's not worth going through this hassle when they could steal so many easier-to-steal scooters in the same time, and with less hassle, and with less risk.

You can look at the video review at the bottom of: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... y-security

With a mains-powered grinder, it took more than 5 minutes and 6 discs to open one of these u-locks. On a battery-powered one, it would take longer, but most thieves do not carry multiple batteries and multiple discs.

Imagine having 2 u-locks of that kind - a thief would need about 12 discs and who know how many batteries!!!

On Trackers: Bennets has a good page here: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... le-tracker

I would personally not put a tracker connected to the battery on a scooter, unless I can connect the scooter to a battery tender when I'm not using it for more than a week. if you want to do that, the Datatool draws less battery than the Biketrac. Actually, a good alternative could be to use a solar trickle charger; Oxford covers have a pocket meant for the Oxford solar chargers, and they work quite well.

With any tracker, you must be careful to place it somewhere where it's hidden enough but not so hidden that metal etc will jam the signal. One thing you could do is to consider a fake decoy tracker, this could be an airtag or something similar, placed somewhere easy to find, plus a real one, better hidden. But this won't fool the thieves who steal a bike and leave it somewhere for 24 hours just to check if it has a tracker or not.

On DCT bikes and shoving: I think shoving another scooter is easier from a lighter scooter with a low centre of gravity than from a Honda DCT bike. I'd also presume most gentlemen engaged in this noble art are more familiar rising scooters than motorbikes, and maybe not all know what a DCT even is, but that''s just a guess.

Any more questions, just ask.

kegelban
Current Ride: 2019 Honda NC750X

A quick update and a question

Post by kegelban »

I have now got myself an NC750X with DCT gearbox and just managed to install a Tucano Urbano Gaucho legcover. It's only so slightly a compromise, between the convenience and the greater peace of mind.

The police came back with the news that the stolen Forza had been recovered, 6 months after the theft. It's off to the insurers, unfortunately. Naive me wonders if the fact that it's been recovered in one piece and in good condition is going to make any difference to my future premiums?

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Re: Stolen Forza 750 in London and what bike should I now buy

Post by Funkycowie »

I love my NC750x, its very easy to work on, I doubt your Forza will be in good condition after 6 months of likely abuse by the thieves.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...