Considering 400 Burgman

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Re: Considering 400 Burgman

Post by Whatsisname »

I'm six foot three, but the burger is only 2011, before the shrinkage years. Mine's a little tight, but the previous one, I removed the butt pad at the back and gained another couple of inches legroom for the true feet forward experience.
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

mottza wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:41 am Given the weight its about the same as the ADV350 for performance.
Spot on Mottza. I swapped my 2015 burger for a ‘22 Honda 350. The burger is a meaty old beast at 235kg I believe, the 350 is 185kg.that weight difference is something I really noticed. I loved the burger for its comfort and storage but it was heavy. The 350 has slightly less power but the weight difference, in my opinion, negates that and is perfectly capable of travelling long distances with no problems.

icon_thumbs_up.gif

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Burger is £7199 vs £5899 for the ADV350/Forza too
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by velocipede6295 »

You can buy a new 400 Burgman for a lot less than £7199, e.g. there are four 2023, zero miles, Suzuki 400 Burgman models currently advertised for sale on e bay for £5699 ( £1500 less than the price quoted above.)

However, I'm cooling somewhat now about the Burgman - as it has been pointed out that they are smaller than the previous model, have less power than the previous model, plus they are very heavy - all points against them for me really.

My previous bike, a Honda X ADV 750, sold a few months ago, was big enough for me, powerful enough, but it was a bit of a struggle getting it in and out of my drive/garage, plus I nearly dropped it a couple of times turning it round in narrow roads. I also didn't care for the DCT, so that had to go.

As I get older I really appreciate lighter bikes, but my size and height is a bit of a mismatch for them, hence I was looking for a bit bigger bike, twist n go, CVT, with decent power, but not too heavy, a bit like looking for the holy grail.

Maxi Burger
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400 2022

Post by Maxi Burger »

Damn, I'm 6' 1 1/2" - so I don't qualify, would love to help you but... :lol:

I have the 2022 model and agree with what Data has said previously about top speed and Euro restrictions. Would be nice if it had a few more bhp's but then tyres and belts would wear out quicker and the engine stressed that bit more.. not that it ever gets stressed.
I'm a tenth of a metric ton :o to give you an idea of the flesh, bones and blubber it has to cart around, if I look down I guess my fourleggs are just about parallel to the bike/ground with feet forward and riding the bike I don't find it small... the only time I have is when I've jumped off a big adventure bike and I get the "I'm sitting on a toy" feeling - but luckily that soon fades once you get into the twisties and you realise what fun biking can be. Remember too that on these types of bikes you can vary the positions of your feet.
Just dug out the best side image of me on the bike, my feet are back a bit.

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

Thanks for that Maxi, your Burgman does fit you a lot better than my Forza fits me, and you do not look out of proportion on the bike. You are are slightly shorter and about 7kg lighter than me, so we are not too dissimilar in size. It's really helpful to see a photo of a taller rider on a bike that I am considering. How far/ long do you ride it, and do you get any low back pain - bearing in mind a tall rider's knees can be higher than his hips on a scooter, which can and does sometimes cause low back pain with me.

riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Post by riders in the storm »

Just seen this.............

I'm 6'2" and with a very heavy heart have just sold my 22 plate Burgman 400. I had the Givi tall screen on it and I thought it was a fantastic winter bike ( I have an NC750X and a CRF300 Rally as well). But the "butt stop" on the seat was just too far forward for me to be able to sit back far enough on the seat to be comfortable and in the end it was putting me off riding it. A great shame because it feels a quality bike, with plenty of performance ( irrelevant to me whether it does 80 or 90 mph).
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X

Maxi Burger
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400 2022

Post by Maxi Burger »

Although I do suffer from back problems (degenerative stenosis) I don't get any problems with it on the bike luckily :P
The bike gets used quite a lot and has done several trips Chelmsford to Goring-by-Sea 98 miles (often same day return) and longer journeys to Shrewsbury about 190 miles. The latter I tend to stay off the motorways where possible finding A roads much more interesting & take a couple of short breaks. Next month I will be off to St Davids - but getting there will be split over 2 days and weather permitting a few touring days while there.
If anything, the biggest bugbear is the relatively short service intervals, most similar capacity bike are the same. I get mine dealer serviced for warranty/selling it on and the next service is a bigger one (14,500 miles) oil & filter, plugs, reduction gear oil, drive belt and inspect valve clearances icon_crying.gif I'm saving up for a new bike and this is not helping!

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

Thanks again for your input, Maxi, much appreciated, and it's pretty much positive by you, from a taller rider's view, which I was asking for when I started this thread. I agree that the service intervals are short compared to to a Honda Forza, at 8,000, and most bikes seem to need a major service around the 15k- 16k mark anyway, so that cost can't be avoided, unless you do it yourself, or do some of it yourself, as I do, and get the dealer to do tricky bits, to save a bit of the cost. Cheers, regards, Malc.