BURGMAN 400

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
jeremyp
Current Ride: 2006 BURGMAN 400 K7

BURGMAN 400

Post by jeremyp »

Hi there

Just bought a BURGMAN 400. A non runner from EBay! After stripping it today, the first problem is a disintegrated drive belt!

Maxi Burger
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400 2022

Re: BURGMAN 400

Post by Maxi Burger »

That's not a good start, I hope you're mechanically minded and have deep pockets. Replace the gear oil while you're there and check the clutch, rollers etc.

I bought an old but very good looking Burgman 250 a few years back. Got it home, next day battery flat as a pancake, 2 weeks later after having the bike serviced by my local Suzuki dealer.. the belt broke. Investigation revealed it needed a new clutch and rollers.. quoted £800 plus. I sold it on and a recent vehicle check indicates it's still not on the road.

Good bike though & hope you can get it running again, I'm sure you'll like it.

jeremyp
Current Ride: 2006 BURGMAN 400 K7

Post by jeremyp »

Thanks Maxi Burger

Yes mechanically minded, although first time working on a moped.

Stripped down the drive and determined I need a few replacement parts. So far Fowlers seem to be the best place for parts?

As well as the drive problem, the bike will also not idle and the STVA is constantly hunting!!!!

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by velocipede6295 »

" a moped " :( Ouch!

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Oh dear! :(
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

"STVA "

I had issues with mine when I had my burgman . c28 error. do you have the error light showing? diagnose what it is like this

I took off the mechanism on the right side of the throttle body that opens the plate and inside are plastic gears with very fine teeth. and you cant get another from keihin either. you have to buy the who throttle body.

mine did this

it was the fine small teeth inside trying to catch and it failing.

Rocketman122

Post by Rocketman122 »

the stva is the achilles heel for b400 also issue with throttle position sensor. many times it will cut off at the light other times it wont run, then it will run on and off. pita scooter. once it runs its really enjoyable.

I purchased the sym maxsym 600 after that and sym took many of the design features of the burgman and fixed many things vs the burgman. even something so simple like taking apart the outer and inner cvt covers. every single bolt is different, and the gear oil change is done in the case. its quite the pita to work on there. sym fixed these things. its very enjoyable to work on the maxsym cvt.

also the side leg plastic cover with the burgman has 2 different fasteners and 1 plastic plug. annoying. I will give 100% credit to suzuki. their plastics quality is far superior to the maxsym. no comparison. even the black paint on my 2010 b400 was sensational. such a deep glossy black. I bought mine with 80000km and it was dirty and dusty. with meguirs polish I took all spider web scratches out and brought the shine back. but suzuki is one lazy arse. its like they bought a huge container of glossy white paint of matte gray paint for so many years, the same paint. they used to have blue and burgundy and red and some metallic rust color in the first few years of the 2007+, and now you hardly see any of the new b400. not the same quality as before.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I look back on my ownership with a 2009 Burgman I brought second hand as one of the best bikes I've owned. No problems.
At 80,000 miles you will get something that is going to have problems even if always serviced.
I think the Burgman range is probably the best practical scooter out there.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Rocketman122

Post by Rocketman122 »

except if you goto BUSA you will see many have the issues and they have far far fewer miles then I did

its known issues with the b400. there will be most who have no issues but those few who did, had the same issues. or like the electric coupler behind the starting solenoid that gets warn out and gets you stuck. all known issues.