Renewal of licence at 70.

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Re: Renewal of licence at 70.

Post by Funkycowie »

I have to renew my license next year as it will have been 5 years after my last epileptic seizure and when I got my license back after a year it was only valid for 5, I will definitely be taking a photo of the licence card.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Yes, they advise you to take a photo of your old licence before sending it in. If you've been free of further attacks you'll probably get a 10 year licence issued. Anyhoo...it's usually a fault free process at the DVLA end, but as we've heard, not always when doctors are involved. :o
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

DTO
Current Ride: X-max 300

Post by DTO »

If your renewing at 70 then new license lasts 3 years ?

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yes, renewing your licence at 70 means your replacement will only last 3yrs, unless DVLA place restrictions on it because of health issues meaning it might last a few months or a year. If that's the case you have to reapply & be reassessed to get another renewal.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

After studying the DVLA website I discovered you do not have to return your license until you recieve your new one unless you are handing it in because you cannot or no longer wish to continue to hold it.

So I followed the rules despite the form actually saying I should and the envelope reminding me to on the inside. I got my new license today, which was cutting close as my old one runs out at the end of this month, but it matches the old one entitlements so I can now send it back... or as its no longer freepost it may 'get lost in the mail' or get 'eaten by the dog I don't have'.

At least this one is valid for 10 years! Woot!
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Great news Peter.

Incidentally for anyone that doesn't know, you can continue to drive even without your new licence in your possession as long as it has been reapplied for & you have none of the things that would normally bar you from driving. I think DVLA call it a section 80 driver allowance that lets you do this, or some such thingy!

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Did you know DVLA hold records of all driving qualifications you’ve gained? If you get a license returned without a particular entitlement then appeal….

Andym
Current Ride: Forza 350 and SuperCub

Post by Andym »

DVLA had a phase of denying appeals and a number of people had to re-take motorcycle and HGV tests.

They seem to have sorted themselves out, but there is still the option to "lose" your photo card and "find" it if the new one isn't right. Taking photos is probably enough though, not many people have the skill to manipulate images to the extent they can be used fraudulently, so hopefully they'd believe you.

I certainly would never sent my license off without some record though.

Andy