Forza Main Beam/Dip Switch

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Forza Main Beam/Dip Switch

Post by velocipede6295 »

I've recently had trouble with my main beam / dip switch on my 2019 Forza 300. The main beam and blue main beam indicator stopped working on a trip out the day after I washed the bike. It started working again the next day intermittently and then worked OK a day later. Yesterday I got caught in a very heavy downpour - about half an hour's worth, and today the same problem has occurred. I repeatedly operated the switch today, when I came home, and it is now working correctly again. I think water is entering the switch causing the problem. There are seven different switches on the left hand control and I don't want to take it apart to clean it, as I suspect I will get springs and switch parts all over the show! the other 6 switches are all working OK.
I am considering some sort of spray to squirt into the switch, to try and clean it, but I don't want to make it worse by attracting dirt. I am considering " electrical contact cleaner" but have never used it. Has anyone used it for this sort of purpose / can you recommend it from experience?

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Re: Forza Main Beam/Dip Switch

Post by Dave Weller »

I use Silicon Lubricant Spray from Halfords, it has saved taking apart electrical parts on my Fiat and motorbikes. It works and protects.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Andym
Current Ride: Forza 350 and SuperCub

Post by Andym »

Yep, Dave is spot on. WD40 to dry it, leave overnight if possible, then contact cleaner to clean it, leave overnight if possible, then silicone spray.

The silicone spray will need repeating 2-3 times a year if you use the bike in all weathers.

Andy

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

Thanks for the replies.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

A lot of micro switches fail inside because of the pivot post seizing, so a lubricant helps it move.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

I had trip out on the Forza yesterday, an enjoyable, circular 100 mile trip to Knott End, on a fine dry day, and the switch worked perfectly. I am sure the problem was caused by water ingress into the switch, there being no problem when it is dry. I'll use the silicon spray, tie on small plastic bags around the handlebar ends, when washing the bike in future to stop water entering, and try not ride in the rain, becoming more of a fair weather rider than I already am! Thanks again.