Vespa is going!! Update: now gone/new bike pics!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: Vespa is going!! Update: now gone/new bike pics!

Post by Data »

Yes Capitano I'd heard there were a few "flakey" early Interceptors. Those seem to have been dealt with. I think there were some minor production issues which caused a variety of mostly minor issues but I expect there were some that needed a bit more spannering too.

From what I learned from some simple online research & talking to dealers, as yet there has only been a few Indian home market Meteor 350's that have suffered minor issues in late 2020. Unfortunately as you most likely know, it's not uncommon for some foibles to occur when completely new models go into production. One thing that seems to have massively improved on these bikes is quality control. And if a customer does have an issue Royal Enfield GB takes full control & sorts it out pretty pronto from what I hear. Although it appears from my quick survey of dealer techs that Enfields simply don't seem to get issues of any substance. Colchester Kawasaki tell me of all the bike brands they sell the Enfields are pretty much one of the most trouble free. And they are selling them by the lorry load every month. Of the guys I know who have Enfields they certainly seem very pleased with them. So I'll see just how good it is in due course but finding it hard to complain about anything just now, & I'm fussy as hell! :o :lol:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Indian home market models are vastly cheaper and not to EU regs. I suspect some cost cutting for those home market bikes. A 500 special was about £1500 out there.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

You are correct Chris, but I think the 350's are now euro5 or rather "Bharat stage 6" (euro5 equivalent) compliant in India & probably the 650's also as the Indian government tries to reduce pollution. The 350''s sell for around £1700 in the home market I believe. It was only very few Enfields that had some issues & Royal Enfield actually dispatched technicians to customers homes in India to fix the early issues.

It's unfortunate but when new models come out often some issues arise. These days they are mostly minor problems. I remember when Honda & Suzuki had some quite serious issues with some of there big bikes & we had teams of technicians working at the docs as the bikes came off the ships, replacing camchains & tensioners & camshafts to fix the engine failure problems they were both experiencing at the time. This needed to be done before the bikes went out to dealers. Again they were new models with new engines. This has happened to a string of cars that I worked on too. Again all brand new models from the not too distant past.

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

Honda were quite famous for thier chocolate camshafts in years gone by. So before I bought one I did a little research amd bought one of thier most reliable models ( secondhand from a dealer) a CX500, I had it less than a week before the water pump seal failed. I got the distinct impression somebody had bodged it and part ex'ed it. Fixed under warranty and was reliable after.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Ah yes, the wonderful CX500! I loved it & it's bigger brother, the CX650. Great bikes. Would love to see either of them make a come back.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Data wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:36 am Yes Capitano I'd heard there were a few "flakey" early Interceptors. Those seem to have been dealt with. I think there were some minor production issues which caused a variety of mostly minor issues but I expect there were some that needed a bit more spannering too.
My Son's wasn't an early one. Sufficiently troublesome enough for the dealer to buy it back.

As well as electrical issues, the finish was utterly atrocious. In contrast there's an early orange one locally that's ridden a lot and looks tidy.

Inconsistency seems like the best description. Good ones are undoubtedly worth keeping hold of, though.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Oh that's interesting Capitano. Must have been bad to have dealer buy it back. It's a bit like the brand new VW Golf & brand new Skoda estate bought in 2016 & 2017 that I rejected due to major engine & transmission problems in the first few weeks & months. These things happen unfortunately.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Data wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 am Oh that's interesting Capitano. Must have been bad to have dealer buy it back.
It was!

He's had an interesting 17 years on bikes.

His first was a 2 year old Chinese 125 that I bought him, expecting it to be broken most of the time. It covered 10,000 miles in 10 months, with essentially just oil changes and a new chain and sprockets.

His Enfield was his first ever brand new bike, and the worst he's ever had. Terrific when it was running, and before it started rotting rapidly, though.

Our mutual friend, Bill, also rejected an Enfield to the dealership he bought from ... then promptly bought another and loved it. 8-)
Data wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 am It's a bit like the brand new VW Golf & brand new Skoda estate bought in 2016 & 2017 that I rejected due to major engine & transmission problems in the first few weeks & months. These things happen unfortunately.
To be fair, two friends also had the same scenario on two different new Triumphs, from two entirely separate dealerships.

One with a new Thunderbird Storm, and one with a Bonneville.

Much to my surprise both bought new Triumphs again (different models) but both were happy with their newer purchases.

It shows that I know nowt as I'd never have bought another one again, ever.

Having said that, my first Harley was a lemon. I kept it for 9 years after sorting it out at my own expense, as I figured I'd never be able to afford to own another one, and would always be too wary of the brand. I owned 6 in the end (not all at once!) :lol:

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

capitano wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:15 pm
Data wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 am Oh that's interesting Capitano. Must have been bad to have dealer buy it back.
It was!

He's had an interesting 17 years on bikes.

His first was a 2 year old Chinese 125 that I bought him, expecting it to be broken most of the time. It covered 10,000 miles in 10 months, with essentially just oil changes and a new chain and sprockets.

His Enfield was his first ever brand new bike, and the worst he's ever had. Terrific when it was running, and before it started rotting rapidly, though.

Our mutual friend, Bill, also rejected an Enfield to the dealership he bought from ... then promptly bought another and loved it. 8-)
Data wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 am It's a bit like the brand new VW Golf & brand new Skoda estate bought in 2016 & 2017 that I rejected due to major engine & transmission problems in the first few weeks & months. These things happen unfortunately.
To be fair, two friends also had the same scenario on two different new Triumphs, from two entirely separate dealerships.

One with a new Thunderbird Storm, and one with a Bonneville.

Much to my surprise both bought new Triumphs again (different models) but both were happy with their newer purchases.

It shows that I know nowt as I'd never have bought another one again, ever.

Having said that, my first Harley was a lemon. I kept it for 9 years after sorting it out at my own expense, as I figured I'd never be able to afford to own another one, and would always be too wary of the brand. I owned 6 in the end (not all at once!) :lol:
Yes I'm afraid there is never any guarantee that any bike or car you buy is going to be ok. When I was in the trade working on Honda & Nissan cars the expected failure rate (fairly serious issues) per 100 cars was 2 cars needing substantial remedial work. It's pretty much the same now for bikes I believe. Years ago it was a much higher figure.

Interestingly I've managed to buy almost every Friday afternoon car of almost all makes over the last 30 yrs. These include VW, Skoda, BMW, Mercedes & others. Funnily enough the best car I've bought for years & years is my current Citroen which inspite of having a fully tech loaded cabin has never had even the slightest glitch or problem of any kind. Engine & auto box are just perfection. Just can't fault it. That's a brand that a few years ago I'd never have even looked at. But I've had this one from new since 2018.

One of my friends (who interestingly is now a happy Enfield owner) had a rather dodgy new Harley four or so years ago. So it just goes to show no bike or car is immune from issues.