Hello and Help!!

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Aide_131
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax 530 DX [2017]

Hello and Help!!

Post by Aide_131 »

Hi to all the 'muppets'.
I have used this wonderful website for information before with total success so thought it was time to join the legions of scooter fans out there.
My scooter story so far - having been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my left hip joint a good few years ago it was becoming ever more painful to ride a 'normal' motorbike. So my local dealer (Crescent Suzuki) said try a scooter, yeah right I thought, but having road tested a new Burgman 400 and stayed comfortable and pain free for the whole ride, and even at 6 foot 1 remained comfortable on the bike, I left having put a deposit on a brand new matt black with red wheels model, this was December 2017, had to explain to the wife that this was a Christmas present for myself!!!!
Took a little 'flack' from bike riding friends & workmates until they realised there wasn't much I couldn't do on it and how, for the vast majority of time, I kept up with them on there 'proper' motorbikes (there words) during ride outs I soon replenished my (limited) street cred!
But after 7 great years with the Burgman I fancied an upgrade so in January 2024 chopped the Suzuki in for a 2017 (MK6) Yamaha Tmax 530 DX.
Absolutely loving the Yamaha, but being very much a fair weather rider I am just longing for better weather to arrive so to get out and enjoy the extra 'poke' that is very apparent with the Yam.
But during the last two trips out the bike has suffered from an electrical niggle that is proving hard to diagnose.
The issue is that the right hand little green signal indicator on the dash board works fine for the first few miles then stops working? The indicators them selves work fine at all times, its just the green signal light that does not operate? If I stop for a coffee and leave the bike switched off for a while, again the green indicator signal works again and then after a few miles stops working? No problems whatsoever turning left.
The local independent motorcycle dealer (non franchise) where I purchased the Tmax from has been great but they are scratching there heads to why this is happening? Could I ask the wider audience out there has anyone come across this or have any ideas? Any guidance gratefully received. Many thanks.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Hello and Help!!

Post by capitano »

Hi and welcome. 😎

John A
Current Ride: Honda ADV 350

Post by John A »

Hi and welcome :-)

Pure guesswork on your problem, but have you tried cleaning the connectors in the indicator circuit?

Andym
Current Ride: Forza 350 and SuperCub

Post by Andym »

Hello

Start with a silly question; any sign of previous owner bodges? LED indicators etc? Anything with yards of black tape to hide their Scotchlocks and keep the water in?

The problem is heat or vibration related, so almost certainly a bad connector. I'm afraid it's going to be a swine to find, basically open and clean every connector. It might be easier to start with a massive dose of silicone spray on the bits you can see. Worst case it's a soldered joint in the dash, which is a total arse to replace.

Andy

Aide_131
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax 530 DX [2017]

Post by Aide_131 »

Thanks one and all for the advice.
To answer the question, the the bike is all original, doesn't look like the previous owner has 'played' around with anything at all. Me being a very old ex car mechanic my thoughts turned to connector issues, but getting to oily/electrical bits on a modern scooter relies on removing yards of plastics first, not something that makes me jump for joy, and if it is the dash then that might have to wait for the winter when the Tmax gets tucked away until next spring and I have lots of time to attempt a fix.
Thanks again, much appreciated. I'll keep the site updated on progress.