AN400K7-Should immobiliser LED light always flash?

MandyLerwill

AN400K7-Should immobiliser LED light always flash?

Post by MandyLerwill »

Hi, I recently bought an 07 Burgman with about 16K on the clock - seems to be in good nick, but the battery has let me down once already. Not a problem - replace battery, £45 = happiness.

However, it has made me question whether there is a fault which discharges the battery or a different fault which fails to charge it!!!

I notice when I lock the bike up, the immobiliser light flashes - is this normal? Does it show a low battery level if it does not flash when the bike is locked up??

I am hoping someone who has lived with their 07 or later Burgman longer than I have, may be able to shed some light on Immobiliser LED flashing OR general charging/battery issues.

Regards

Mandy

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: AN400K7-Should immobiliser LED light always flash?

Post by capitano »

Most immobilisers flash an LED when on.

I have an '06 Suzuki and it does the same.

Most modern bikes with immobilisers/alarms etc will discharge a battery over time. Optimate is your friend if you are leaving the bike for a week or so without riding it.

TmaX9
Current Ride: 04 and 54 X9 500 Evos

Post by TmaX9 »

The immobiliser LED will flash as soon as you turn off the ignition, it's all part of the deterrent.
After 24 or 48 hrs depending on the bike, it will stop flashing, but the system is still immobilised, it's just in power save mode.
A good battery and a correctly functioning charging system should enable you to leave the bike unused for 3 to 4 weeks at least without any low battery issues when next trying to start up. I have gone longer than this without any problems.
If you are having regular flat batteries, then check out the charging circuit. Dud or poorly functioning regulators aren't exactly uncommon on many bikes.
Simply measure the voltage across the battery terminals before starting, at idle and as you wind on the revs. 11.5V is the minimum you ought to see on a static battery that's been stood a while, 12.5 -13V is good at idle and it should rise to around 14.5V at 3000rpm. If it continues to climb over 15V at higher revs or if it fails to rise to 14.5V then you have a failing regulator.
If the battery simply isn't holding charge when not in use then it's probably just an expired battery. Batteries last about 4 years of regular use but sometimes less if kept on a charger or only used infrequently. It's money well spent invested in a higher capacity Gel Mat type of sealed battery. Their cold cranking Amps are much higher and they turn an engine over with far more gusto then a normal wet cell battery and a re totally maintenance free.

MandyLerwill

Post by MandyLerwill »

Thank you for both useful replies - I know what I am doing now. The battery went to discharged in 4 days of non use. We were debating about putting the new battery on because the old one seemed to come back so well. Well see how it goes.

Regards

Mandy