speedo drive

rawiswaruk
Current Ride: fzs 600

speedo drive

Post by rawiswaruk »

just came across a burgman 400 local that has not been sold yet lol, they do not describe it in the listing but mentioned it on a text that "after the front brake pads where changed the speedo stopped working"

am i right in thinking that the speedo drive is electronic on a burgman 400 1999? if so what would the cause be and maybe what type of price to fix?

would hate to buy a bke thinking it may be a cheap fix when it is not

thank you
All my posts including the funny, silly and stupid are Copyrighted

Black Sheep Radical

Re: speedo drive

Post by Black Sheep Radical »

Most likely whoever did the pads hasn't lined up the notches in the speedo drive rotor with the lugs on the wheel when refitting it and broken it. A new speedo drive/cable assembly is £120 unless you can find a second hand one :shock:

rawiswaruk
Current Ride: fzs 600

Post by rawiswaruk »

thank you for the quick reply, might have to avoid this bike then unless they want to drop there price
All my posts including the funny, silly and stupid are Copyrighted

pikey

Post by pikey »

I just got rotor for mine but he had to look at a few different years on microfiche as it wasnt listed seperately on all years even tho used same speedo unit for all years.Julian

Black Sheep Radical

Post by Black Sheep Radical »

pikey wrote:I just got rotor for mine but he had to look at a few different years on microfiche as it wasnt listed seperately on all years even tho used same speedo unit for all years.Julian
That's good to know, the Suzuki agent I got mine from told me flat out the rotor wasn't available separately. As it turns out it was the wiring that had gone on mine so it didn't make any difference.

The Burgman speedo drive is a classic example of progress making things worse. It doesn't work any better than the old school cable driven type but costs ten times more to fix when it goes wrong.

pikey

Post by pikey »

Its been a few years ago so hope its still correct.Julian