I've Got The Burger Back!!

Alexis050891
Current Ride: 1999 Burgman 400

I've Got The Burger Back!!

Post by Alexis050891 »

Righto. From my post "Burgman 400 V('99) Problems":

I'll cut to the chase.

When idling:

If you pull either brake lever, indicate, switch on the headlights, or use the "pass" headlught flash button then the engine cuts out.
Sometimes if you are waiting at the traffic lights or whatever for a while, it will cut out.

When going at speed:

If you indicate it will backfire once the second that you flick the switch.
If you use the brake (slow down), it will quietly backfire, then when you come to a halt it usually cuts out.

If it is cold (usually below 5C or thereabouts) it won't start on it's own battery and needs jumpstarted.

These problems happen with both the 9Ah and 10Ah batteries I have.

I've heard it may be the earth clamp, so I checked the resistance between the -ve of the battery and some frame points, and it is 0 ohms (I tried swapping the batteries with the same results). That tells me that there is no problem with the battery earth connection.

Any other suggestions?"

So I sent it to my local garage... £200 later and it's fixed. They had to check all the wiring, replaced the ECU earth and engine-battery earth. New spark plug and spark plug cap. They changed the oil too.

Just thought I'd post this again as a reference for folks having problems. Also a celebration of it's return (thought it'd only be suitable for a breaker's yard).

Bob
Global Moderator
Current Ride: None

Re: I've Got The Burger Back!!

Post by Bob »

Glad it's sorted out.
Honda Silverwing FJS600A7.

Previously owned: Burgman AN400K2, Piaggio X9 250sl Toxic Lemon, Honda Dylan. MZ250 and a Vespa 90 in the '70s

Cornishman in exile.

Muppet Map

nidge

Post by nidge »

good luck with car test m8

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Post by johnp »

Good news.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

Alexis050891
Current Ride: 1999 Burgman 400

Post by Alexis050891 »

nidge wrote:good luck with car test m8
Cheers :D. I'll be driving a different sort of maxi after then. Ahem... Vauxhall Corsa :oops:.

pocketrocket

Post by pocketrocket »

i understand wiring problems with burgman 400s. my 99 model played me up for a while and nearly killed me when the fuses blew at about 95mph. if it was a packed road and not at 4am i think id have been killed.

but thankfully after the motorcycle shop in farnborough found the wiring fault on the side stand the bike runs very well now.
it holds battery charge and starts everytime.i also found a screw hanging down in the frame which looks like it has come from the motor cover under the storage area.
so i managed to get a pair of tweezers and remove it.
happy because the burgman only has 11,800 miles on it for a 99 model so it should have plenty on life left in it. only thing left to do is replace the rear shock which had an advisory notice on its mot last year.but i have a replacement which i bought of ebay for £55.so i'll put it throught the mot and if it passes all good, if the shock lets me down i can replace it.

but i may look for a silverwing soon as i have seen the honda prices seem to tumble on the secondhand market and i'm looking for something which will be more comfortable and do over 100mph.

nidge

Post by nidge »

ive just had a problem wire to battery live trapped on stering colum