trad hunt continues

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
scorpakid
Current Ride: x8 400i.scorpa125

trad hunt continues

Post by scorpakid »

still lookin for a trad vespa... viewed a junker...let one go that i should have bought...and ebay is a wind up gettin gazzumped in the last minute etc... i know i could join scooterboy forum but im in enuf forums already...and some of the fella's on here are well knowledgeable and helpfull...

anyone know what lml's are like .. they look ok to me..? are they avoid at all cost and can you fit a 170 kit on the 125 easily...? loads coming on ebay every day but as usual...the decent one's are in the furthest corner of wales.... lol..... thanks

martb4632
Benefactor
Current Ride: LML Star 150 4 Stroke

Re: trad hunt continues

Post by martb4632 »

scorpakid wrote:anyone know what lml's are like .. they look ok to me..? are they avoid at all cost and can you fit a 170 kit on the 125 easily...? loads coming on ebay every day but as usual...the decent one's are in the furthest corner of wales.... lol..... thanks
I would tread very carefully with LML's mate. If you are lucky and get a good one they are a fair alternative to a Vespa PX but despite buying brand new and running mine in carefully on quality 2t oil I got a friday afternoon job :?

The cranks are the main weak point as mine went at 1200 miles and I know of quite a few others the same. Mine was a Via Toscana but I think the newer models with a 2 year warranty are a lot better in that respect.
In any case if you are thinking of fitting a larger cylinder kit like a DR 180 or Malossi 166 you really need to upgrade the standard crank as they seem to be made from recycled coke cans or something :o

Mine has been ok since my dealer fitted a Piaggio crank though and I know of some owners whose scoots have covered thousands of trouble free miles on the standard crank so its a bit of a lottery really
They all have problems with the indicators but they are relatively easy to fix and do change the tyres as the standard indian ones are shocking in the dry let alone in the rain :shock:

I think if I was buying one I would def get one of the newer italia range with the balance of the 2 year warranty & you should be ok but like the PX they are great fun to ride but nowhere near as troule free as a modern twist n go.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Save yourself all the hassle and buy a brand new shiny PX150...?
http://www.uk.vespa.com/#/vespa/UK/uk/M ... spa-PX-150

scorpakid

Post by scorpakid »

thanks for the advice mart... seems like the money one might save getting a cheapo lml..... will then be lost fixing the fragile engine internals....

and confirms the sayin.... " buy cheap..buy twice" i have me x8 for work its perfect.... a trad vespa will be a sunny day toy...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-PIAGGIO- ... _500wt_994

this is exactly what i want but noo way am i goin to caerphilly to look at it....

Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Post by Ginger Phil »

Buy a Neco Abruzzi. :lol:

I nearly bought a mates Vespa PX two weeks ago for £750, it was a 51 reg with 19000 miles but I just knew I couldn't rely on it as an every day scooter. If the Neco plays up even once it's going on eBay!

scorpakid

Post by scorpakid »

that neco looks well nice... i like the mixture of modern and retro... i rekon its well past my budget limits tho..... and i dont think i could ever go back to a drum brake on the front again either..?

Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Post by Ginger Phil »

Disc brakes front & rear and only cost me £1100 for an 11 reg. There's a big topic about it in the Mini Muppets section not that I'm saying you should buy one as if it's a proper trad scoot you're after nothing can beat a metal body and that 2 stroke engine sound. :)

SpikeOne
Current Ride: Kymco Downtown 300i

Post by SpikeOne »

I just looked at the new prices for both those and the Neco looks like a good deal, especially if the LML's are a bit suspect in the first place.
I'd have one myself if I wasn't such a big fat bastard....
Spike

Kymco Downtown 300i
Yamaha Vity
MZ ETZ251
Honda CD175
Honda CB250 G5
BSA Bantam D14/4
BSA Sunbeam
Honda C50

Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Post by Ginger Phil »

SpikeOne wrote:especially if the LML's are a bit suspect in the first place.
Not so much LML being suspect but 2 strokes in general. The thing with those engines is you need to know what you're doing otherwise you'll get into a never ending cycle of breakdown > pay someone to repair it > breakdown > pay someone to repair it > breakdown > pay someone to repair it etc etc.

You'll hear stories of 40 year old Vespas being used every day and travelling hundreds of miles to Europe but you can bet that the owner knows how to rebuild an engine and more importantly can detect a fault before it becomes a costly repair.

If, like me, you know feck all about mechanics and just want something reliable then stick to autos. Yes an auto can break down too but...

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

my expierience with 2 strokes, (mostly MZs), is that if you keep them stock, use reasonable oil ,and good quality modern bearings,( when needed),and dont tune them, they can be ultra reliable. I like LML's but indian build quality , as already stated is very patchy. I had a enfield bullet a few years ago, it was fuckin cursed, yet my mates bullet never let him down in six years.
But granted I think we all agree 4 stroke is a more reliable engine, needing less fettling.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.