yellow it is then.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
amsmtb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki burgman 400za l4

yellow it is then.

Post by amsmtb »

:) been looking into head lights for about a year now and must have spent the gnp of a small eastern europian nation on bulbs trying to get good head lights on the burger. At this point iv found the more i spend the whiter they get and the more they dont light the way i mean they shine on everything but black wet tarmac. Now i could just put dreaded hid's on but even that is not righ. Its fair to say iv done.my reserch into this.
I was reading, i cant remember ware about yellow light being a good reflective colour and still legal in the uk as a main beam light. So i tryed a cheep h7 in my dipped beam an wow the differance was amazing, i could see the road rearly well and im not blinding every other road user. I have run with them for a couple of weeks now and the seam to have much more poor weather epenatration. Cutting through the fog and gloom of the last few days with ease.
So now i have gone and got myself some nice little phillips rally yellow bulbs aproved for use on uk roads with the right ce marks for mot perposes.
So im gonna test them for real now and see what they are like in the real world over a longer time.

O and on the upside helps cagers see you better as you just dont see yellow tinted head lights now days.
Suzuki burgman 400za l4
Suzuki burgman 400 k5
Gilara nexus 500 2004
Suzuki Burgman AN400 k7 2006
Piaggio x7 125 2010
Yamaha Majesty YP125R 2000
jinun db50qt6 (NInja) 2007
Honda nsr125k JC20 1991

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Re: yellow it is then.

Post by barryG »

I used to run all my old cars on yellow bulbs, they do cut through the gloom better but in normal conditions are worse. Thats why older French cars had yellow headlamps and later just yellow foglights. Sadly theyve gone all boring nowadays, but yellow looks ace IMHO.

scorpakid
Current Ride: x8 400i.scorpa125

Post by scorpakid »

thats also a good idea for standing out on busy motorways.... i have been considering fitting a bright extra light and colouring it so the cagers have more chance of seeing you amongst the thousands of other headlights.... i was going to try mauve.... but as yellow is legal i will try this when i next commute in the dark anywhere..

Hexatony 2
Benefactor
Current Ride: Hexagon 125

Post by Hexatony 2 »

Hi all, I believe Phillips make a headlamp bulb specifically for motorcycles that they call Motovision. It has an orange tint to the light to differentiate it from car lights and also has a 10-20 metre longer beam.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Lots of scoots and bikes use 2 bulbs at 35w/35w (HS1), rather than one at 55w - H4 or H7.
I got a pair of blue tint / hid style bulbs, (from hids direct for £10) and as has been discused before they don't actually light you way any better, but maybe make you standout more...

Used to have 4x yellow headlight lenses on a VW Scirocco, had the 2x small lights per side rather than one large unit,

Used yellow side lights before but now have the BikeViz leds...

not sure if you can get HS1 in yellow...

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Going slightly off-topic....

For cycling in the forest I use glasses with yellow lenses. They cut out the glare but don't hide everything that is in shadow as black/grey lenses tend to do. I have often tinkered with the thought of getting hold of a yellow inner visor to replace the black one in my Caberg but never got around to finding out if anyone does one.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

StephenC wrote:Going slightly off-topic....

For cycling in the forest I use glasses with yellow lenses. They cut out the glare but don't hide everything that is in shadow as black/grey lenses tend to do. I have often tinkered with the thought of getting hold of a yellow inner visor to replace the black one in my Caberg but never got around to finding out if anyone does one.
I often use a really simple but comfy and effective pair of yellow shatterproof plastic glasses (Stealth 7000) & I've always been amazed the extra clarity they seem to give everything.

Extremely light and as they're very slim no pain anywhere wearing for long periods and were picked up very cheaply through CPC, under £2 IIRC.

Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

TmaX9
Current Ride: 04 and 54 X9 500 Evos

Post by TmaX9 »

I have used the Phillips Motovision bulbs but their orange tint isn't in the colour of the light they produce, which is still fairly white, but in the top of the reflector as you look at the lamp. It makes the lights distinctive but doesn't make the pattern on the road much better than cheap ordinary bulbs.
Another option is the Ozram 'all weather' which like the Phillips gives a yellow tint on dip and a more blue tint on main beam. They lack the 30% more light penetration that the Phillips gives though, although to be honest, in reality you can't tell much difference.
Avoid the overly blue 'HID' impersonators as like HIDS (I have tried them) they make very poor beam pattern on the ground and in damp conditions may as well be turned off.