Old 80's Honda Auto's

For members who own little scooters.
SpikeOne
Current Ride: Kymco Downtown 300i

Re: Old 80's Honda Auto's

Post by SpikeOne »

The apparent performance has probably got more to do with the petrol than anythign else.
Us oldies easily remember the 4 star stuff which was infinitely better than this modern eco rubbish with it's reduce octane value, and additions of wood alcohol, surgical spirit, turpentine, or whatever it is they put in it these days. You need about an extra 15-20% extra engine size to get an equivalent performance.
I had a Honda 250G5 in the seventies, which wasn't renound as being the best, most reliable or fasted Honda ever produced, and even that would scarily do over a ton indicated. You'd be hard pushed to find a standard road bike of equivalent size that would do anywhere near that now.
2 strokes were certainly quicker off the line. Not sure that they went faster in those days though.
Spike

Kymco Downtown 300i
Yamaha Vity
MZ ETZ251
Honda CD175
Honda CB250 G5
BSA Bantam D14/4
BSA Sunbeam
Honda C50

gn2

Post by gn2 »

You'll be hard pushed to find any standard roadbike of 250cc these days.
I can only think of one, the YBR250 Yamaha.
Depends what you mean by standard though and whether the faired Kawasaki 250R and Honda 250R models qualify.
Wait, hold the page, Suzuki have announced the new Inazuma, but not due till the autumn.
Big change from the days when each Jap manufacturer had about three different 250 models available.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

This was my first, a twist n go built in the 60' by Triumph in the UK, it worked much
as the modern twist n go does now but did not have the rear clutch, the variator on the front opened wide enough
to let the belt drop out of engagement so acting as a clutch, it gave no trouble, and instead of roller type
weights it had large steel balls that just did not ware out. No brake lever on the left but the rear brake
could be worked by both feet, so it did not set off when you started it there was a switch that when turned
on stopped the engine from revving high enough to move the scooter.
I still have the bill of sale and it's the only vehicle I can remember it's reg number 868DK just shows there's
not much new under the sun.

http://www.classicmotorcycles.org.uk/cl ... h_tina.htm
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

wife used to have a melody 'before children', it just never went wrong, back then I had a GS1000 but if I wanted to go into town I would take the melody.
Not fast but tiny, nip through the smallest of gaps between cars, it was fun
memory lane again
Never instal version 1.0

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Ralph wrote:http://www.classicmotorcycles.org.uk/cl ... h_tina.htm
Your link is broken.
Try using url tags with the url between the = and the ] with some text between the ] and the [

Like this: Triumph Tina

or use img tags like this:

To see what I'm on about click quote to see the full text of my post ;)