Northern Ride Out - 08/07/12

GTscootz
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Re: Northern Ride Out - 08/07/12

Post by GTscootz »

I should be able to make this one, oddly enough I'm at Willingham Woods Friday evening for a chat and a brew. For the Sunday I can meet there or anywhere really. There is a cafe on the A46 north of Lincoln which is trying to become a local scooter & bike meet point. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Motortow ... 1821076032

Gerard C
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by Gerard C »

That looks a good place and deserves a visit. Route being looked at this week and put up on the forum later.

JimB
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec

Post by JimB »

Gerard C wrote:Hi Jim

What happened was that at the time of writing we were considering a locale for the ride Lincs or the Peaks, as there was another ride being planned for the Peaks at that time we went for a Lincs route. (The thinking being that its probably best not to "over do" and area). I wrote the above before that decision. Obviously your local knowledge would be great but if you don't want to put a route forward its fine as well. I was going to do another run in the Peaks but as the run by Chippie is re booked we will be supporting that. So will you be coming round Linces with us Jim?

I contact everybody by PM before a ride so if anyone is following these threads and is interested then it would be a very good idea to include a location on your profile so I can include you.
Gerard, just glad to hear I hadn't been asked to arrange anything after all.

Not :oops: any more.

Not sure about Lincolnshire yet...I make every effort to avoid known wet conditions and use that as an excuse to practise my preferred Sunday morning activity - a bit of a lie in followed by a fry up and a long slow ....read of the papers.

Who's 'we' by the way...is there a committee....like the Wheel Tappers and Shunters Social Club?

:)

Jim

Donnyman
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400 K9

Post by Donnyman »

Sorry I can't make this one, but would have loved to, hope the weather is kind and ride safe
Previous: Zundapp Bella; BSA 350; Honda CG125; Sym Voyager 250

GTscootz
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by GTscootz »

Burgman all sorted, so ready to meet up Sunday

Gerard C
Benefactor

Post by Gerard C »

Jim - a committee? Nothing like as sophisticated. There's Clive, Steve, Phil, Ady, Roy, Alan and Me, oh and on this ride another Alan on a Burgman 650 from the IAM. (Theres a Guy on a Bike at work asking about it as well). Some of us bring our Wives so its a good day for the Cafe when we turn up en masse. Its our intention to organise at least one ride in a Month and support anybody else's rides where and when we can. Future rides planned include A foreign trip. A trip up to and around the Lakes. More round the Hawes area and maybe getting together with some southern members midway like we did last year.
Just in case your wondering why its me doing the writing, its because I sit in front of a PC most of the day and get the opportunity to go online.

JimB
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec

Post by JimB »

Thanks for the info Gerard.

I sure would like to get involved with more rides.

The forecast for Sunday is quite poor (by my standards....I have the luxury of being able to get out during the week if it stops raining.....I can't remember when it last did!) so to assist in your and my planning I will say now that I won't be on this one.

Jim

Gerard C
Benefactor

Post by Gerard C »

The ride out starts at the Ceder Court Hotel at 9.15 before going onto Sheffield to meet Alan at Meadowhall. Then onto
the Motortown Cafe Nr Lincoln. Over a cuppa we will then decide what route to take. Alan knows some very good routes in the area so we will play it by ear. Looking at the weather which is changeable - understatement - we will have to take our chances. I've been round some of that area today. Ollerton, Retford etc and the conditions were fantastic. Warm, reasonable breeze - just good riding. Got back to Wakefield, cut the Lawn in bright sunshine, (keeping in with the Mrs), 5 minutes later its pouring for 10 minutes then back to bright again. I went to Cheshire on thursday afternoon with a crap forecast. Went over Woodhead Pass going - fantastic weather - coming back decided to come over Holme Moss. Brilliant sunshine, not one car on the road from leaving the Woodhead Pass until I rode into Holm Firth. One of the best rides I have had. Coming back into Wakefield it pissed it down for the last mile. Burgman is so good arrived home with only wet arms. If it rains then it rains. I dry out again.

Gerard C
Benefactor

Post by Gerard C »

For information this is a route used by the IAM on observed rides. Its full of twisty bits and is excellent with some National limits to push - slightly of course.

M1 South onto M18, leave at Junction1 and head right along A631 towards Maltby. Turn Right on A634 passed Roche Abbey to Oldcotes and onto Blyth, right and immediate left following A634 Retford. Right turn on A638 Retford and at roundabout take 2nd exit through 1 set of lights and turn right at 2nd set on A638 Newark. At far end (passed supermarket) left turn A638. At Gamston turn right B6387 to Ollerton. At roundabout 3rd exit A6075through New Ollerton and follow Newark A616. Farm Shop at Kneesall turn back on A616 100yds and turn right on minor road Ossington, Carlton on Trent. Left turn B1164 Tuxford, left turn into Tuxford to double roundabout at A1. Follow sign on 2nd rabt. Retford A638. Return thro’ Retford turning right at traffic lights following Gainsborough. 400yards after traffic lights left turn “avoiding low bridge”. At Clarborough turn right and immediate left on A620 Gainsbro’. Just after start of dual carriageway left turn B1403 Clayworth, Drakeholes, left B6045 to Mattersey, Ranskill left/right at traffic lights, Blyth, Maltby.

Groucherino
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Post by Groucherino »

Just got back from this one - awesome roads and very little rain. Ended up in Horncastle where the Generations Scooter Club were holding a charity get together. Many thanks to them for making us so welcome, some superb scooters you've got there guys. Nice to have Alan, an IAM Observer along, hope you enjoyed the day. Good to bump into GTscootz at the Horncastle rally too. Visited Motortown Cafe on A46, excellent bacon n' egg butties, later dropped in at Willingham Woods for the obligatory hot choc with marshmallows. Wonder why i got less mpg on way back? Still, i wasn't the one having a cheeseburger, eh Gerard :)
Cheers til next time
Ride safe