New SH300i improvemnts over 'old' model?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

New SH300i improvemnts over 'old' model?

Post by Steve_D »

Having being knocked off my 2009 SH300 last week, I've got the insurance assessor coming round tomorrow to assess the damage. Either it will be written off or repaired to 'as new' and with the personal injury offer I have already been made by the car drivers insurance company, I plan to sell or p/x it and treat myself to a new daily commuter scooter. At the moment another SH300 is my favoured choice but does anyone on here know the improvements made to the new models over the old one? Presumably they've got the stalling issue sorted on the new ones? Any suggestions for other commuter scooters - I'm looking for a 'skinny' scoot with big wheels, a fair bit of power, ABS and a short wheelbase for filtering through the traffic I encounter. Not really bothered about looks, storage or style. That only leaves the SH300 doesn't it? :roll:
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: New SH300i improvemnts over 'old' model?

Post by MrGrumpy »

[quote="Steve_D" Any suggestions for other commuter scooters - I'm looking for a 'skinny' scoot with big wheels, a fair bit of power, ABS and a short wheelbase for filtering through the traffic I encounter. Not really bothered about looks, storage or style. That only leaves the SH300 doesn't it? :roll:[/quote]

Errm yes!
I seem to recall reading that the new one is supposed to be more economical than the old one...with the silly little tank, that could be useful!

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

Steve_D wrote:I plan to sell or p/x it and treat myself to a new daily commuter scooter.
FYI If you get sorted, my local Honda dealer (Newcastle Motorcycles) has a brand new unregistered Blue SH300i reduced from £4700 and now up for sale at £3999.
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Beverley 350 is quite possibly superior to the sh300.

Take a look at that before buying.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

That sport touring model is a seriously nice looking scooter with a bit more poke than the Honda. I'd never even considered a Piaggio. What's the reliability like on them? I have a dealer just 3 miles away from me too. I'll definately look at one of those before I make a decision. Thanks for the suggestion. icon_thumbs_up.gif

Honda SH300i

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

Steve_D wrote:That sport touring model is a seriously nice looking scooter with a bit more poke than the Honda. I'd never even considered a Piaggio. What's the reliability like on them? I have a dealer just 3 miles away from me too. I'll definately look at one of those before I make a decision. Thanks for the suggestion. icon_thumbs_up.gif
I'm sure the reliability will be fine, AFAIK they have nice long service intervals too. What may be more in question is the reliability of your local dealer.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Steve_D wrote:That sport touring model is a seriously nice looking scooter with a bit more poke than the Honda. I'd never even considered a Piaggio. What's the reliability like on them? I have a dealer just 3 miles away from me too. I'll definately look at one of those before I make a decision. Thanks for the suggestion. icon_thumbs_up.gif
I bought a new Beverly 350 ST a few weeks ago, you can see my verdict in the review area of the forum. Haven't had it long enough to judge long term reliability but I've had no problems with it and Piaggio don't have reliability problems in general as far as I'm aware. I owned a Moto Guzzi for a time from new, also part of the Piaggio group, and never had trouble with it, nor do for example Vespa owners in general which is also Piaggio. As said by rtfm though, the quality of your dealer is important with any bike.

In fact I considered and had a test ride on the Honda SH 300i as an alternative to the Bev. The Honda is a nice bike in many ways, has ABS like the Bev, is fast and quite slim for town traffic, but looks matter to me and it's ugly in my personal opinion. Worse, it has very restricted underseat space. I know it comes with a top box to compensate for that but I dislike top boxes. Just my view.

On balance I much preferred the Bev so I bought it as the best compromise on all the features I wanted. Good underseat space, as powerful or more so than the Honda, very responsive throttle, reasonably slim for town traffic, much bigger tank, long service intervals, much nicer looking in my view, very well equipped with nice touches like for example an underseat courtesy light and battery voltage readout, 12v socket in the glove box, excellent fuel consumption for its size and power, good build quality and so on.

But choosing a bike is very personal and you can learn only a limited amount from other people's comments, plus they are usually biased in favour of their own machines. So I'd say have a good test ride if you can because the Bev is a great addition to the range of choice in this section of the big scooter market. Be a pity not to even try it before you decide.

wozza
Benefactor
Current Ride: SEAT MO

Post by wozza »

StephenC wrote:Beverley 350 is quite possibly superior to the sh300.

Take a look at that before buying.

Yep the Beverley for me to if I was going down that route. icon_thumbs_up.gif

The Beverley has really long service intervals as well which has got to be a bonus.
SEAT MO

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

[quote="abitmad"]......In fact I considered and had a test ride on the Honda SH 300i as an alternative to the Bev. The Honda is a nice bike in many ways, has ABS like the Bev, is fast and quite slim for town traffic, but looks matter to me and it's ugly in my personal opinion. Worse, it has very restricted underseat space. I know it comes with a top box to compensate for that but I dislike top boxes. Just my view.

On balance I much preferred the Bev so I bought it as the best compromise on all the features I wanted. Good underseat space, as powerful or more so than the Honda, very responsive throttle, reasonably slim for town traffic, much bigger tank, long service intervals, much nicer looking in my view, very well equipped with nice touches like for example an underseat courtesy light and battery voltage readout, 12v socket in the glove box, excellent fuel consumption for its size and power, good build quality and so on.

[quote]

I agree the Honda is an ugly bugger but I like all of the plusses you've outlined on the Bev. I'm 5'11" with size 9 feet so it will all come down to a test ride I think. One of your negatives is the screen. Are there any aftermarket ones availible for it?

Honda SH300i

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Steve_D wrote: I agree the Honda is an ugly bugger but I like all of the plusses you've outlined on the Bev. I'm 5'11" with size 9 feet so it will all come down to a test ride I think. One of your negatives is the screen. Are there any aftermarket ones availible for it?
Sure there are screen options (Givi?) but be careful, often people try higher screens and all they achieve is elevating the windblast onto their helmet. It takes a pretty humungeous (sp) screen to allow the wind to clear your head, although MRA Varios or other added winglets (Laminar Lip) can be worthwhile.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)