Any advantage in having a company scooter?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Any advantage in having a company scooter?

Post by Steve_D »

As above. Is there any advantage (apart from not having to fork out your own dosh) in having a scooter as a company car? How does it work? Whats the tax lability on a £4400 scooter? Can the company pay all associated expenses - tax, fuel, insurance, helmet, gloves, jacket etc? Surely I'd be better off with running and deprecation costs-V-tax increase?
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: Any advantage in having a company scooter?

Post by Data »

Yes Steve, you could be better off. I've registered some of my cars to my company and it's pretty much the same thing. But it's not always as simple as you might think. You must download and read the Customes & Excise Guide to using your vehicle(s) for company use. Remember, if you register the bike as a company bike, or a bike you use for your business, it's only viable if you actually do use it for your business. You can only claim for expenses actually accumulated for the business, such as petrol costs, insurance, tax, servicing etc. If you are VAT registered you must keep an accurate record of the actual mileage you do in conjunction with your business and your private mileage too so you could claim back some VAT or a portion of it. You cannot claim for private miles. But it's a minefield and although you can depreciate your bike over 4 years, it may not be worth it even then as there are so many regs.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

Hi Steve, here is the HMRC Expenses and Benefits 480 (2012) booklet, rules change all the time. A long read but all the information will be given in here or ask a good accountant.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/480.pdf
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

Ferrit
Current Ride: MP3 400ie

Post by Ferrit »

The biggest mistake people make is not recording the commute to and from work as private mileage.
2013 Mp3 500sport
2007 MP3 400ie

A less than Civil Servant
Herts & Beds SERV