cheap mana

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
wozza
Benefactor
Current Ride: SEAT MO

Re: cheap mana

Post by wozza »

ridinhigh wrote:so shutting the throttle could land you in neutral hence my post i would end up killing
me
ps and i hate the mana :lol: :lol:

Absolutely not. The bike can't go into neutral when you're riding along the road. Your preconceived ideas are not reality of how they work. The DCT Honda is more advanced than the Mana, as that appears to be a mixture of CVT and gears, where as the DCT is more of an advanced car type gearbox akin to modern high performance cars with their paddle gear changes. The DCT doesn't have a Torque converter as per tradtional style auto box.
SEAT MO

maxine500
Current Ride: T-Max Street Triple R

Post by maxine500 »

Earl wrote:

Well I can answer one of your questions here my friend. I've ridden a GTS and my Mana will out engine brake it everytime going into a bend, so no worries there about it not slowing down. Plus I was always told to never shut the throttle off completely because you then dis-engage the variator and are basically free wheeling round the bend hence the slight lag when you come to exit, which is like knocking a geared bike into neutral in the bend then back into first as you come out of it, which I'm sure you're not meant to do.
Dead right Earl! I can chase big sporties on tight twisties on my Tmax with the correct technique. It's a bout knowing your bike so well you can ride it to its best potential. Which is very hard to do on a test ride.

ridinhigh
Current Ride: GTS 300

Post by ridinhigh »

it WASEarl who said it could go into neutral when shutting throttle, not me

Earl
Benefactor
Current Ride: Mana 850

Post by Earl »

ridinhigh wrote:it WASEarl who said it could go into neutral when shutting throttle, not me
It was indeed me, and Wozza if you shut the throttle off on any auto (maybe not the honda) you in effect dis-engage the variator and hence you are free wheeling as if in neutral on a geared bike.
It Is Better To Be Hated For What You Are, Than To Be loved For What You Are Not.

maxine500

Post by maxine500 »

That's right. If you want your scoot out of the corner quick then keep the throttle on and retard the bike with back brake. Then it's only a matter of releasing the brake, revs r still up, throttle and away u go!! Throttle off in the corner and the poor scoot has a lot of catching up to do. On the Tmax I can really squeeze that rear brake and it behaves beautifully. No ABS etc of course.

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

maxine500 wrote:That's right. If you want your scoot out of the corner quick then keep the throttle on and retard the bike with back brake. Then it's only a matter of releasing the brake, revs r still up, throttle and away u go!! Throttle off in the corner and the poor scoot has a lot of catching up to do. On the Tmax I can really squeeze that rear brake and it behaves beautifully. No ABS etc of course.

You should come over here and chase bikes round Matlock Bath :D

maxine500

Post by maxine500 »

Ooooh twisties up Tor n Abraham? R u allowed? :-( my tmax tank is only 15 litres. Not big nuf to get from here to there.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

ridinhigh wrote:Nno you are not rude at all mate ,each to there own when i go into a corner on a bike hard i change down a gear or two brake
but it seems like on auto,s cant do that , its same on my GTS its a totally different way of cornering ,i dont find auto scooters open up as quick as a geared bike,
and no i do not want to ride a a mana or any other motorbike with auto box, i would probably end going straight on at a corner ending in a lampost or wall or some thing,
i have got used to no clutch on the gts but doubt very much i could get used to it on a mana cant see me ever getting my knee down on one those things

BTW: you CAN change down a gear or even two if you wish with the DCT...in old fart mode and sport mode..

and it is not an auto gearbox it has normal steel gears like any other, just has two clutches and servo change units.

wozza
Benefactor
Current Ride: SEAT MO

Post by wozza »

Earl wrote:
ridinhigh wrote:it WASEarl who said it could go into neutral when shutting throttle, not me
It was indeed me, and Wozza if you shut the throttle off on any auto (maybe not the honda) you in effect dis-engage the variator and hence you are free wheeling as if in neutral on a geared bike.
I must admit I don't fully understand how the Mana works, as it seems to be part CVT, but I believe it's supposed to have 7 gears... Please update me if I've got it wrong. The Honda can't go into neutral full stop without the machine stopping first.
SEAT MO

Earl
Benefactor
Current Ride: Mana 850

Post by Earl »

wozza wrote:
Earl wrote:
I must admit I don't fully understand how the Mana works, as it seems to be part CVT, but I believe it's supposed to have 7 gears... Please update me if I've got it wrong. The Honda can't go into neutral full stop with the machine stopping first.
I'm not saying the mana has a neutral, I'm saying that if you open the throttle you engage the variator and it moves forward under power, if you shut the throttle you dis-engage the variator so are moving un-powered (if thats a word) like being in neutral.
It Is Better To Be Hated For What You Are, Than To Be loved For What You Are Not.