Anyone near me who can test a rectifier?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Anyone near me who can test a rectifier?

Post by halfabusa »

Fellow muppets, is there anyone who would give me a hand one weekend (perhaps even tomorrow?) and test whether the rectifier is dead or not on my tmax? For those who don't know, i'm near Dartford so anyone nearby that i can come around tomorrow or another weekend?
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: Anyone near me who can test a rectifier?

Post by Data »

Hi Buddie, do you have your own multimeter? If so, I can tell you how to test it yourself. If you don't have a multimeter, can you borrow one? I can pm you with the instructions if you like. I'm a long way from you, but unless there is someone very close to you I wonder if it may be best to buy a multimeter as you can get a digital one for around £20 that will do a good job. That may be cheaper than the fuel you'll burn to get to another Muppet. Just remember to test it with all other connections to it on the bike...'disconnected'. In fact if it's easy to get to take it off altogether. It's worth checking the connectors to the unit are nice and clean too. But I expect you have already done that?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

Only £7.99 at Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/domestic-multimeter-37279
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

That's a good multimeter for domestic use, but probably better to get a multimeter for testing cars/motorcycles with full AC/DC ability and a better range. About £20 will get a good one but you can pay the earth and you don't want to do that.

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

Data wrote:That's a good multimeter for domestic use, but probably better to get a multimeter for testing cars/motorcycles with full AC/DC ability and a better range. About £20 will get a good one but you can pay the earth and you don't want to do that.
Why spend £20, It says domestic but I have used this exact same meter for years on my cars and all of my bikes with no issues?
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yes, you can use it but it just lacks some test functions and the range for use on bikes and cars. Just thought if busa was going to buy one it would be good to get one that will do most things as they are cheap enough. In fact you can prolly get a good car or bike one for less than £20 these days.

TmaX9
Current Ride: 04 and 54 X9 500 Evos

Post by TmaX9 »

Data can you beam me the test instructions please. I know how to measure if a regulator is functioning when fitted, but a bit vague on a proper bench test method. I have a few spare ones that I could do with knowing if they are worth keeping or just good for door stops.

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

Thanks a lot data, i have a multimeter (poundshop one :) ) and it has the most functionality. It's one of these jobbies:

I searched online and on youtube, but it's still confusing. They talk about different readings to be expected depending on different manufacturers and whether a reading from one of the three ohm connections and zero from the other two, or the other way around... I first need to get to the darn thing by taking the right panel off, and once i do that, i'll try to unplug it. From it's pictures, it seems to be a straightforward thing, but then how i would make sure it works is something to find out...
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

Never instal version 1.0

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

Thanks Deeping, i'll try it out tomorrow...
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...