2 honda helix...

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
alanduke
Current Ride: 1990 Honda Helix 1999 FES250

2 honda helix...

Post by alanduke »

latest update to my ongoing and boring saga...

had my helix on ebay,,, as you may be aware and got a message from someone who had a helix that was overheating.... so they gave me it...free of charge...so i took mine off ebay ...(again)...

got it here and went to check the oil and of course as soon as i removed the oil filler cap out poured a mixture of oil and water.... saves me the hassle of playin around with thermostats etc.... looks like the engine is gubbed....

this new helix is in much better cosmetic condition than my old one.... basically... what to do now????

swap engines and see what happens??..... try changing cylinder head gaskets??...(well get someone to do it)... or sell both for spares/repairs and buy something more modern???#

on the plus sides... i have more spares etc than i know what to do with....

good job i got two garages....

problem is i love these scooters... more addictive than crack.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: 2 honda helix...

Post by Data »

Alan, they are addictive aren't they! Just a few short years back, about 6 or so I guess, there was a firm in Ipswich, Suffolk selling brand new Jailing 250 scooters. As you prolly know it was an exact copy of the 250 Honda Helix using genuine honda presses to make the engine parts and cycle parts. They made this bike for Honda in China under licence for 20 years. I worked for the firm doing some work on a contract basis and they were good guys. I nearly bought one myself as they were so good but decided to get a bigger engined bike at the time. The guys said they could get brand new engines for the Jailing for around £500 at the time. I wonder what it would cost now? I'll see if I can find the number for the guys. They operated from a big unit selling all sorts of Chinese bikes and were very commited to giving good service. Jailing is a good brand too. Interested?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

pikey

Post by pikey »

I dont think just swopping engine will cure your vibes what i would do is try complete clutch assemby off one you have had given you see how that goes in your old one then maybe do the swop over .Its not always as easy as changing gasket head needs checking for cracks and warping may need a skimm .Also do engine mounts if you havent already done that already .

alanduke

Post by alanduke »

Cheers for the advice... Again... Have decided to put them both into local garage who has said they will have a look ... Too much messing around.... See what they say... If I can get them both working fine ill sell one and keep the best of the two... Or keep them both depending on how much they cost to fix.... I have decided I don't have a clue....well not enough of a clue to sort these... New one has chrome trim etc.. Almost new Honda exhaust... Blank cheque time for mechanics... Tho if its silly money ill ditch them both and buy a tmax

pikey

Post by pikey »

Id concentrate on one with running engine my self get that right use other for parts you can always just swop body parts off the better one you can do that your self

alanduke

Post by alanduke »

That makes sense..... BUT.... Dunno if I can bring myself to let one of these beauties go to the scrap heap ....LOL....the body panels bit I can manage... Or maybe I should buy another one and have 3.... Though. I might need a good divorce lawyer.....

pikey

Post by pikey »

I know a good one for sale had complete overhaul new tyres shocks wheels powder coated bearings bushes fuel pump the lot £500 in parts alone put on it pm Kayz1 if I hadnt brought vespa gt 200 would have it myself

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

It stands me at £800 ( shock horror ) so mke me an offer Alan.
Lyn. Taxed and mot'ed just annot get on with it.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

Alan and the other one :lol: i have PM'd pics to you both.