First Aid for Bikers

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Gerard C
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

First Aid for Bikers

Post by Gerard C »

Does anyone know of a first aid course specifically for Bikers. I know a lot will be common to all first aid but surely there's more impact, abrasion and of course head injury with the complication of the helmet?

Mr Angry

Re: First Aid for Bikers

Post by Mr Angry »

First Aid for Motorcyclists courses contact St John’s http://www.sja.org.uk to see if they are running a course near you.

I did a First Bike On Scene (FBOS) a few years ago but fortunately never had to us it.

Have a read of this too http://www.nabd.org.uk/openhouse/openhouse47/47p6.htm

Try and get a group of you together and they may do a course specifically for you if there are enough.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Scootering acquaintances have done 'First On Scene' training as part of other courses.
I Googled 'First On Scene' and found this:

http://www.firstonscene.co.uk/
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Earl
Benefactor
Current Ride: Mana 850

Post by Earl »

It's funny someone should bring this subject up, my girlfriend was telling me lastnight that her dad had witnessed an RTA of a bike 2 up in the week, he said he didn't know weather to stop or not because there was nothing he could do to offer assitance medically plus his car would add to the obsticles for the ambulance, and there were others present at the scene. I said he made the right decision in my view.
It Is Better To Be Hated For What You Are, Than To Be loved For What You Are Not.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

That was for the best same if it were any other incident, if there are others already on the scene unless they are waving someone down for additional assistance or you know first aid best to continue on and keep the flow of traffic moving so ambulances can get through quicker. Its all the gawpers who slow down to have a look before moving on that can cause delays, I keep hearing stories from my sister who is a NHS driver about how ambulance crews are often whinging about car drivers doing just that.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

Mr Angry wrote:
Try and get a group of you together and they may do a course specifically for you if there are enough.

that sound like a plan to be aired at the club
Never instal version 1.0

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

Having assisted at one or two accidents, i can confirm Funkycowie has stated the best thing to do. :)

Gerard C
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by Gerard C »

Trust me, if there were anyone else doing it I would leave well alone. But if there isn't I want to know what to do. I can't drive away then. I will be looking into this. If any one else is interested, let me know.

pikey

Post by pikey »

If you do bikesafe they go thru it basically unless they are not breathing and you cant do mouth to mouth leave helmet on

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Common sense dictates one leaves it to the experts.......if there are experts at hand.
Mr.Angry alluded to 'First On Scene'; that's the time when we need to know what to do (or what not to do), when there's no-one else around.

If I'm not mistaken, the Highway Code has some First-Aid advice in it and it's certainly part of the Theory Test.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch