oil pressure warning light....

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
nexusmaximus
Benefactor
Current Ride: nexus 500-fuoco-burger 650

Re: oil pressure warning light....

Post by nexusmaximus »

Ok! ...took the cable off, light went out. Changed the switch and reconnected the cable, turned her on, warning light still on....bugger!!

I started her up, just in case that may have sorted things, but the warning light is still on. I also noticed that she is running idle nearer to 2000 than 1200. I'm going to have to book her into the shop, me'thinks.
Image Image Image

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

That is strange, the new switch could be faulty, you need to find a way of seeing if the oil pump is working, the switch operates from an oil gallery, I would start looking through 'ledude's' USA site for information. The switch does not work, if you put in an oil pressure gauge it would read less than the switch operating pressure (9lb). slacken the switch to cause an oil leak, see if oil comes out when you start it up. You need to find out if oil is circulating.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

TmaX9
Current Ride: 04 and 54 X9 500 Evos

Post by TmaX9 »

The oil pressure switch is straight in the gallery from the pump so if the switch doesn't turn the light out, there is no pressure. I wouldn't run the engine any more, as if no oil is circulating under pressure you are drying out the journals and risking picking up material between shell and journal. Ruined engine.

nexusmaximus
Benefactor

Post by nexusmaximus »

Thanks, guys...she's booked in for saturday week, hopefully it won't be too expensive, but i'm not holding my breath.
Image Image Image

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Hi Nexusmaximus, any progress on this one yet. Do you need any help with this?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

nexusmaximus
Benefactor

Post by nexusmaximus »

Hello, matey!! ... well, it was checked out by Duncan of Biker's Realm (top man!!), he checked her out, and found that the oil moved from the observation window, but wasn't building up pressure higher up. He thinks it may be the oil pressure valve permanently open, but without removing the engine it's hard to say for sure. He said that it might be worth considering a second hand engine to give me a definite outcome on cost (which i can understand the logic of), but it's up to me really. Thankfully, having the luxury of the Nexus and the Fuoco in the garage, i've shelved her in the garage for the time being until funds allow.
Image Image Image

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yeah...it may be quicker to look for a good used engine. But the problem I've often encountered is just that, getting a GOOD engine! I've often ended up stripping it anyway to fix some problem the last guy had. I'd be inclined to say take your time and strip out your own engine. If you are worried about any damage that's been done to the bottom end just replace the bigends and mains, also the small ends. It's easy to do. Re-ring her and deglaze and as long as the cams are ok just put her back together with a new oil pressure relief valve. It's a big deal to do but you'd be ok for years. You could also replace the drive belt and bearings and she would be virtually a new engine. Just a thought anyway.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

Data wrote:Yeah...it may be quicker to look for a good used engine. But the problem I've often encountered is just that, getting a GOOD engine! I've often ended up stripping it anyway to fix some problem the last guy had. I'd be inclined to say take your time and strip out your own engine. If you are worried about any damage that's been done to the bottom end just replace the bigends and mains, also the small ends. It's easy to do. Re-ring her and deglaze and as long as the cams are ok just put her back together with a new oil pressure relief valve. It's a big deal to do but you'd be ok for years. You could also replace the drive belt and bearings and she would be virtually a new engine. Just a thought anyway.

All good stuff Data, apart from the replace the belt bit,,,it's about £800 :lol: but they never go wrong,,,,,well! not very often anyway.. :lol:

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yeah...they are expensive but I have to confess I didn't realise they were so much! During the summer when I was recovering from an injury and not working I watched for several hours as a buddy who is a Suzuki tech strip and replace the CVT belt and bearings on a Six Fiddy. Wow! Most complex thing I've ever seen. In total it took him 1.5 days to strip it, do the job and get it back up running again and that's very quick! He didn't stop for lunch just had a cuppa soup and roll!! And that was the 3rd bike he had done so he knew what he was doing. I have stripped the boxes and reassembled two GSX1400's in that amount of time and got them back up and running. Both had stripped second gear dogs, a common fault on the K3's, one of them was mine! I can certainly see why it means most owners scrap their 650's or sell them out for parts if the belt breaks. Incidentally, that's what had happened to the one I saw being sorted. If I intended to keep the bike I would defo replace the belt inspite of the cost unless the bike was really low miles. It prevents so much heart ache later and gives peace of mind.

pikey

Post by pikey »

I was looking few years ago at older 03/04 's 650's which had bottomed out price wise but decided against it as they can come and bite you with big repair bill