oil pressure warning light....

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
nexusmaximus
Benefactor
Current Ride: nexus 500-fuoco-burger 650

oil pressure warning light....

Post by nexusmaximus »

...came on last week on the 650 Burger and didn't go out on my journey home. So i stored her for the rest of the week, and used the car. Today i changed the oil and replaced the oil filter with the proper Suzuki one just in case of a blockage, and still no joy, also noticed today when running her on idle after the oil change that the abs light was permanently on too, maybe the problem is connected or just another problem...does anybody have any clue as to what the problem could be?
Image Image Image

pikey

Re: oil pressure warning light....

Post by pikey »

Is it just telling you its due for an oil change ? then has to be reset or have you a spanner light as well

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

Meldrew wrote:I know dip shit about engines and talk crap :roll: but maybe your engine idling speed is too slow. The oil pressure light should go out at at a fast idle, and I thought the ABS light would extinguish soon after you start moving.
:lol: How did you get on with the tax disc? Personally I found the hex screw ones a bit too much (maybe a dealer job at service time?) so I use the oem pop-off tax disc on the Xevo :D

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

You have 3 oil lights, 2 dash LED's, Low oil, oil service and a red light Low oil pressure. Which have you got on?
ABS light goes off when you do 5mph.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

nexusmaximus
Benefactor

Post by nexusmaximus »

pikey wrote:Is it just telling you its due for an oil change ? then has to be reset or have you a spanner light as well
Thanks for the reply, Pikey, but no, it's the warning oil pressure light, not the oil change reminder light. As i mentioned above, i did an oil and filter change in the hope that maybe the filter had been clogged in some way, or maybe faulty, but sadly it's still lit up like a Christmas tree.
Image Image Image

nexusmaximus
Benefactor

Post by nexusmaximus »

Dave Weller wrote:You have 3 oil lights, 2 dash LED's, Low oil, oil service and a red light Low oil pressure. Which have you got on?
ABS light goes off when you do 5mph.
Cheers, Dave. It's number 20 in the owners manual, the oil pressure indicator light. I don't really run the engine any longer on idle than it takes me to do my coat up normally, so that snippet of information is reassuring, i'd not paid much attention to it in the past....the abs light, that is.
Image Image Image

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

nexusmaximus wrote:...came on last week on the 650 Burger and didn't go out on my journey home. So i stored her for the rest of the week, and used the car. Today i changed the oil and replaced the oil filter with the proper Suzuki one just in case of a blockage, and still no joy, also noticed today when running her on idle after the oil change that the abs light was permanently on too, maybe the problem is connected or just another problem...does anybody have any clue as to what the problem could be?
Given you rode it home with the oil pressure light on it's doubtful if it's anything major. The engine would have likely siezed or at the very least be rattling like blazes. I take it the engine sounds ok with no outward signs, other than the oil pressure light being on, of any distress? Ok, so it's likely to be the oil pressure sensor or the oil pressure relief valve (often the same thing on many engines). Depending on the type of engine setup these regulate the oil pressure at high rpm and makes sure the oil gallery in the crankshaft remains full, and also sends a signal to the dash to let you know the oil pressure is ok. This valve or sensor may be faulty either mechanically or electrically. I cannot tell you if it is a combined unit on your bike or where the sensor is on your 650 but it's usually within relatively easy reach on the lower crankcase, sometimes at the front. If you have a separate oil pressure relief valve then do not ride the bike as your pressure may be low. If you don't know what the bikes uses then do not ride it. But sometimes it's just the wire going to the sensor that's become detatched or is faulty. Find the sensor and carefully take the wire off, make sure it's connector is clean and put it back on. If no joy, and if you are not able to test the sensor, then get your dealer to check it or the bike. But I would not want to ride it to the dealer as the golden rule is never ever ride a bike with the oil light on. Of course, it might also be a fault at the dash end causing the light to show. I don't actually know the setup on the 650 and so I'm of limited help. Incidentally, even if the oil filter becomes blocked, it doesn't stop the flow of oil. The oil just doesn't get filtered and it has no or little effect on the oil pressure. But good luck and let us know what you find out.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

nexusmaximus
Benefactor

Post by nexusmaximus »

Data!...you're a top man. That's exactly why i asked, maybe someone has had the same problem, or like your good self, have another way of approaching the situation. I shall check where the sensor is situated. I thought i'd be very lucky if the oil and filter change had cleared it up, but at least that is done and ruled out anyway.
Image Image Image

TmaX9
Current Ride: 04 and 54 X9 500 Evos

Post by TmaX9 »

Pressure switch is just below the generator cover at 7 o'clock between oil drain plug and filter. A single wire goes to it and if grounded will light the lamp.
The switch makes a connection to ground below the minimum PSI the engine needs at idle unloaded.
To test for a wiring short, disconnect the wire and if the lamp still lights, there is a fault either in the wiring or the dash. If the lamp remains unlit even with the engine not running, then there is either a dud switch, or you really have low oil pressure. Substituting the switch is the only way to eliminate it.
The oil pressure regulator (bypass valve) is internal, inside the crankcase below the oil pump so not get-attable unless you remove the engine and split the crankcase, so hope it is just a dud switch!

nexusmaximus
Benefactor

Post by nexusmaximus »

Dave! ... you are a top man. My pressure switch arrived in the post this morning and i shall try out what you suggested, and hopefully it will point me in the right direction/cure it. I shall report back with my findings.
Image Image Image