Just one small step....

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Vimesy
Current Ride: BMW R1100S

Re: Just one small step....

Post by Vimesy »

Well today's test ride has gone well. Covered 10 miles and it's broken down! :-)

Pulled into a cul-de-sac to try slow u-turns and when I shut the throttle down to freewheel the engine just died. Trying to start it again and all I get is that tick-tick-tick noise where it sounds like the starter motor won't engage. *sigh* at least it gives me a good excuse to turn it down I guess.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

It's probably either the starter gear jammed due to the grease going hard (lack of use causes this) or the starter is buggered. It probably cut out due to crud in the tank and fuel line caused by lack of use, or the tick over is too slow or both of those things. The engine is barely run in so it could be a good buy if these niggles are sorted. But you need to get that price down loads as it just isn't worth that amount. If you sold it in one year you'd take a massive hit as book price is much much less than the dealer is asking for. Good luck.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Vimesy

Post by Vimesy »

Are you trying to tell me it's been lacking use. ;-)

Nah, I'd already decided they'd have to cut thus down to nearer 3.2k for me to bite and I can't see them doing it. Considering the tax disc shows exp. 09/09 it obviously hadn't turned a wheel in over 3 years. Shame cause it's immaculate - but I'd be daft not to heed all the warnings.

pikey

Post by pikey »

I wouldnt give up on it its all fixable by dealer

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

i'm with pikey. if it's not run for that long . it could be the starters stuck an there may be petrol issues..they have to sell it as a runner..
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Sorry but I disagree, just walk away.

This bike inspires no confidence and has clearly not been run and maintained unlike many others you'll find, plus on top of that the price is excessive.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

poldark wrote:Sorry but I disagree, just walk away.

This bike inspires no confidence and has clearly not been run and maintained unlike many others you'll find, plus on top of that the price is excessive.
I agree. It's over priced and clearly not been properly cared for. To have it fail after just 10 miles is bad enough. Doesn't
matter if it's the starter or dirty fuel. You got to think what else is wrong with it? What else will go wrong through lack of use?
It'll just end up costing you more money than buying a newer but higher (but not massively so) mileaged one!

I've just looked on bike trader and there's plenty of better valued and younger burgmans. One place has a 2011 model with 2260miles for £3999...
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

Vimesy

Post by Vimesy »

Lets just say that even the dealer was embarrassed and in no way surprised when I said I wasn't interested. I also entwined tht the price was too high and he agreed but hey we're selling the bike for its owner and he wouldn't budge.

On the bright side we got chatting for almost an hour and I ended up test riding a couple more bikes that I hadn't even considered and, yes, I've bought one. To fair I hadn't given this bike or brand any thought what-so-ever but had so much fun on my 2 hour ride that I placed an order as soon as I got back. So what is it? A Vespa 300 GTS Touring. Yeah, I know - I was as surprised as you probably are!

pikey

Post by pikey »

Wow thats a big side step but they are fun .Im counting the days for tax and insurance to be up on my helix so can put my Vespa 200 GT on the road well done

R1K SU
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by R1K SU »

Congrats on your purchase, I wouldnt have looked at one of those either.
I was about to say that dealers have a lot of USA 400 Burg Imports at the moment, dunno why, think the engine size is different, can tell by the yellow reflectors on the fork legs, but as you got the Vespa, ignore that, infact...dont even read it ;)
Yam RD350 YPVS
Honda VFR750
Yam RD 350 air
Kawa GT550
Kawa ZZR600
Yam FZ1s
Burgman 650
Honda VFR 1200 DCT....ecu Flashed
Suzuki GSXS1000
Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 😜😜
Zero FXS