YP250 Maj

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Re: YP250 Maj

Post by Taipan »

Big Den wrote:
Taipan wrote: I'd stick with a vee rubber over a maxxis anyday but would favour a Bridgestone Hoop over both.

Get a Yamaha belt. About £45 or less if you shop around. Dont bother with the cheapies as you'll only fit two to the one Yamaha and wont save anything in the long run, assuming you're keeping the scoot?
I will get the cover off tomorrow and see the condition of the belt, will be all new to me as i haven't done this before. I have a bad habit of buying stuff before i have check if i actually need it :P so will check all the air filters as well.
Went to the tyre place and the rear Vee rubber was still @ 2bar, its got loads of tread and i am loath to replace it if i dont have to, unfortunately the dealer had ordered in a set of pirelli's @ £95 :o its a one man operation and i dont like to dick him about but starting to think i dont really need them "yet" and it looks like you have to remove the shock/exhaust/swingarm to get at the wheel !! wtf, he said something about its mare of a job.
I will also attempt to do this tomorrow to see just how difficult it is, must say the exhaust and graphite gasket do not look too good :cry: .

Took it for a run down the bypass and seems to go fine, front end is a bit vague and pattery, still a vibe from the front on overrun but i'll get all the panels off tomorrow and see whats under there and yes i know there will be an engine of sorts :D It sat @ 65 and felt ok with a little bit more in reserve but not a lot.
Need to sort out the little chinese topbox as it vibes like mad at idle, i will take some pics too cos everyone likes pics even of piles of shite :D
You can check the thickness of the belt to see if it needs replacing. the spec should be in the manual. As I say you can squeeze the clutch up enough to slip the belt off for inspection and this saves you taking the variator off etc.

If I recall correctly the standard set up is with a wider front tyre than the rear? Might make it feel odd, or it might just be an odd bike I bought! :lol:

Yes for some reason Aprilia never put a join in the exhaust pipe so you do have to remove the complete exhaust. :roll: Get some plus gas or wd40 squirted on there now. I think on my first Leo the complete exhaust stud came out rather than the nut loosening and coming off. I just put it back that way and left it like it. Make sure you remove the little side access panel to get a spanner on the nut and of course use a ring spanner if you can. I think you can get the other side with a socket okay? Dont lose the little spacer that sits on the stub axle behind the wheel nut or it wobbles like mad. I rode mine back to Essex from Bristol like that! The handling was, shall we say, interesting! :lol:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Taipan wrote: Funny cos I loved Maxxis on supermotos but hated them on my scoots. Might be okay on a smaller scoot though? I actually took them off my Tmax even though there was plenty of life left in them. Had a horrible turn in due to the odd profile? Found it most disconcerting on the bike. But tyre are pretty subjective and of course each to their own and all that.
Well, Maxxis were standard on my Leo 250 and the Atlantic 500. I was quite happy with them on the Atlantic, but due to the weird size of its rear tyre (with a 3.75" rim!), I could never find anything I was happy with when the original Maxxis rear wore out. The Maxxis lasted 7000 miles I think, which was good, but all I good find to replace it were Pirellis which were completely shot after 3000 miles and had no wet grip a long time before then.

Big Den
Current Ride: SRV850 and 250 Maj

Post by Big Den »

Well 1st commute in this morning after a bit of fettling over the weekend, really enjoyed it as its been a few days since i rode, bit vibey off the line and not too quick (still not checked belt and pulleys though) once upto about 50-60 mph its very smooth and the taller screen does a great job its almost silent.
Brakes are ok but the handling still feels a bit "tuck under" at the front, i didn't get the tyres done as the ones on there have loads of tread and seem to be holding air. The front Maxxi looks massive bit like a sand racer tyre :mrgreen: like the ones fitted to the Van Van etc.
Very wet this morning in fact had to turn round at the A45 as the flooding was about 1' deep and that would put the lump under water, still meant i had a longer run :D
More fettling the weekend and i have to get my head round this roller/variator/belt malarky
Just bikes for me, oh and the odd car

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Big Den wrote:Well 1st commute in this morning after a bit of fettling over the weekend, really enjoyed it as its been a few days since i rode, bit vibey off the line and not too quick (still not checked belt and pulleys though) once upto about 50-60 mph its very smooth and the taller screen does a great job its almost silent.
That sounds like a 250 Maj! I said they could be agricultural! Sometimes you think you have a diesel engine in there...it doesn't seem to rev but seems to supply torque....

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Yep, just like my Leo.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

A set of lighter variator weights does cheer them up! :D

gn2

Post by gn2 »

bornagainbiker wrote: the oil change interval is not the problem as that is a simple 15 minute job but It's also the service book valve checking yearly or every 2500 miles (whichever is sooner) that put me off
You can probably give a PCX 7500 miles between valve checks if you're not fussed about the warranty.
12,000 mile valve check intervals is one reason I will probably be having an Xmax 250 next.

ridinhigh
Current Ride: GTS 300

Post by ridinhigh »

Its not very difficult to check valve clearances ,unless you need shims to alter clearance ,can be time consuming

Big Den
Current Ride: SRV850 and 250 Maj

Post by Big Den »

Well more fettling on Sat, the front tyre is pissin me off and not helping with the handling, think its loosing air too so ordered a replacement.
Bought a OEM air filter and fitted that as the original was showing its age, took the belt cover off and measured the belt which is well within tolerance and is a Yamaha OEM one, changed the gearbox oil.
So i have:-

fitted new spark plug
changed engine oil
changed gearbox oil
replaced air filter
cleaned clutch filter
checked belt

the clutch housing is a nice shade of pink which i am sure is not normal ? all seems to work fine, need to make up some tools to remove the covers to get at the weights and sliders but not going to do that till i have sufficient understanding as to how it all works, the 8 weights are 14 oz according to the manual, so the recommendation is to go lighter ? and what about the sliders ? change them too.
The other thing is i saw on another post that the belt can be changed by squeezing the clutch together :?: cannot see how to do that ?

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... 8dd8b1.jpg
Just bikes for me, oh and the odd car

pikey

Post by pikey »

Heres how you do it gets harder with bigger cc's as springs are stronger and not always space or enough play to do it .Saw Mick (ex tmax/dave the scoot member) yesterday in wollaston get a versys and girlfriend now .