Tucano Urbano Muffs caused my bar end to come out

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Tucano Urbano Muffs caused my bar end to come out

Post by halfabusa »

I've been happily using the tucano urbano muffs since the beginning of winter and they are MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the previous oxford sports muffs. They are more flexible, warmer, better looking, more stable.

However, the right hand bar end came lose the other day and just dropped into the muff as i was riding!

The reason seems to be due to the throttle action causing movement in the muff and therefore resulting in the muff to push the bar end up and down all the time. As the muff is tightly connected to the bar end through a plastic attachment, it eventually took it out of it's socket.

I plugged the bar end back in but it came out after a couple of days. I'm now using the muff without attaching to the bar end to avoid it happening again.

I'll give it a go in the weekend to tighten the bar end properly, but i wanted to ask about the mechanism for it. From what i can gather on google search and schematics, the bar end functions by turning the screw on the outside which then causes a swelling of a rubber expander in the inside of the bar, which sticks the bar end into place. The more you turn the screw, the more force it holds on with. Simples, right?

Thing is, i tried to tighten it with a small screwdriver that i found in the bike's toolkit, but it didn't even move. I'll try with a bigger screwdriver in the weekend, but what if i find out that it's tight already? Would it mean the expanding rubber is not working properly? Or is there a way of tightening the bolt inside first and then tightening the screw later on, therefore applying more tightening power?
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Tucano Urbano Muffs caused my bar end to come out

Post by SH125Paul »

had a loose bar end on the old gilly...
muff should not effect the bar end, and the throttle should not bing either...
solution on the gilly was a washer on the bolt - after the bar end - to space it out a fraction from the bar, and clear teh gripp - plus use a little thread lock...

some bar ends have an expander be it metal or plastic - some scooter bars just have a fixed / welded insert and a threadded hole for the bolt...

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

Mine is a plastic expander i think. i'll give it a try on tightening it further in the weekend. As it is now, i can wiggle it in and out of the hole with a bit of jiggery pokery
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

mightbesane
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K4

Post by mightbesane »

One day I came out of work and found my Tucano Urbano muffs had come loose from both bar ends. My guess is that somebody tried to nick them and got discouraged because they're tightened up against the inside edge of the grips with the little plastic zip ties. Anyway, I turned the muffs inside out to see if there was any damage and noticed that my bar end on the throttle side was coming loose. So I tightened it up good and it hasn't been a problem since and that was that.
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. ~Frank ZappaImage

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

Did you just tighten the screw at the end of the bar end? Was it loose when you tightened it? Mine is solid tight already so i'm thinking i need to do some tightening on the nut that is inside first before re-tightening the screw outside.
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

mightbesane
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K4

Post by mightbesane »

I turned the bar end to tighten it up first, then tightened down the screw.
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. ~Frank ZappaImage