What the?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Gerard C
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

What the?

Post by Gerard C »

Ive just bought a Baby Burger K7 125. My plan was that my Daughter who has her CBT could maybe have a ride out with Dad on a sunny Sunday, (If ever we have one). Also my Son whos in the Army, (for now anyway but faces redundancy), could also get his CBT and come for a ride with Dad when hes Oop North occasionally.

My insurance quote for the Scoot in my name - £78 fully Comp.

Add on the kids and its £3,000. Third Party only.

I was told that to insure it for my daughter individually would be about £200. I could ride it through my own insurance on the Burgman 650 at Third Party.

Anybody got any suggestions round this one? It would be cheaper to buy another Bike and insure them individually.

TmaX9
Current Ride: 04 and 54 X9 500 Evos

Re: What the?

Post by TmaX9 »

It's always much dearer to add on second drivers when they are unqualified and have no NCB.
It's the same with cars, it's expensive to add a young driver who hasn't passed their test, but once they have passed, it's horrendously expensive to insure them in any form, simply because they can go off on their own now, but before they could only go when accompanied.
Best thing is to insure each individually on the burger on a limited mileage policy, you can add it to your policy as a dual bike or just keep the third party cover depending on how often you plan to use it.

Gerard C
Benefactor

Post by Gerard C »

"Best thing is to insure each individually on the burger on a limited mileage policy, you can add it to your policy as a dual bike or just keep the third party cover depending on how often you plan to use it".

I had realised that it wasnt going to be cheap but £3,000. Where would I be able to get the individual insurance? Can one vehicle be insured separately by individuals?

TmaX9
Current Ride: 04 and 54 X9 500 Evos

Post by TmaX9 »

Insurance is on the rider/driver, the vehicle only plays a part in the premium.
Just go on-line to Carol Nash or whoever, and get a quote for your daughter, but there is one other thing that effects the premium and that is who is the registered keeper. If that is you, it will cost more for anyone else to insure it. If you put it in your daughters name, you need to check that your current policies third party cover is still valid on a bike that is not yours.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Gerard, it's worth also going through a cashback site such as 'Quidco' as there is often an insurance deal available, but it does vary. There are several cashback sites, just google them. I got £75 cashback on my Burgman insurance on a premium of £129. So it cost me just £54 to insure my bike fully comp with class 1 business insurance. I also got £50 cashback on my car insurance and £50 worth of petrol thrown in too from Tesco Car insurance done through Quidco, again with class 1 business insurance. That meant I paid just £30 for a whole years fully comp insurance on my new car! The deals can change daily so keep an eye open. Money can take weeks or even months to come back to you but it works well usually and I've never had a problem. Just go to the Quidco site and join, then log in and navigate to any sites giving a deal. It tells you on the Quidco site where any deals are. You can also still go through Quidco to a comparison site and still get money back sometimes but follow the instruction on the Quidco site as there are rules that apply. And, sometimes there just aren't any deals. It depends on the time of the month, and what you are trying to insure.

Good luck.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

pikey

Post by pikey »

I would imagine 2 learners on a policy is considered high risk

Gerard C
Benefactor

Post by Gerard C »

We don't intend to do any formation tricks or form a human pyramid!