Burgman 400 L0 Not starting up, trains for me today

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Burgman 400 L0 Not starting up, trains for me today

Post by halfabusa »

Hi muppets,

I posted on burgman technical section but i can't see the post in the active topics section so i'm afraid many people will miss it, so here's the link for it....

http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... 50&t=13020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can the mods/admin please move that post into somewhere else, as burgman technical section seems to be out of the radar for active topics listing.
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

pikey

Re: Bike issue - my post not showing up

Post by pikey »

It happens on other forums only active topic when someone replys to it not sure if the case on here

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

can't be cause i replied to my own post there to see if it would show up, but still didnt.
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

pikey

Post by pikey »

So did I is it in archive

halfabusa
Benefactor

Re: Burgman 400 L0 Not starting up, trains for me today

Post by halfabusa »

No idea why it wasn't showing up on burgman technical, so i decided to rename this post and copy what i wrote there into here...

Ignition and starter all sounding healthy, immobiliser light also turns off a couple of seconds after turning the key, however the engine is not firing up.

This happened last week as well in the middle of my commute when i did a quick stop due to a car coming out of its lane, engine stopped and refused to start. After many tries it did eventually. I thought it was due to side stand switch at that time but later realised side stand switch doesnt even allow starter to work.

This has to be something else... Spark plugs? Fuel pump? What could it be?

More importantly, if it starts up tonight when i come back from work, how would i show the symptoms to a mechanic? I have no idea how i can repeat the problem...
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Note as many symptoms as you can. There are a lot of things to eliminate
did the starter spin at normal speed? any noises? Was the bike totally normal when it last ran ? etc
When you turned the key did you wait for everything boot up before hitting the starter, any warning lights?
Changed anything recently? How long has the plug been in?
Check for corrosion around the coil mountings if you know where it is. Somebody had trouble with that on BurgmanUSA recently
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

i'll try again after work today and note more details. From what i can remember in the morning:

- Starter spinning normal speed, turning over but not catching
- I didn't wait for the boot up (normally never wait) initially but after a few tries, i waited for the whole boot up. Immobiliser light went off and then i tried starting again, i noticed while turning over, immobilizer light flashed, is that normal? (although it turned off after initial boot up) I also tried with the spare key in case there's an immobiliser issue...
- Nothing changed recently, bike's done 5000 miles in total, last serviced before i bought it by the shop (standard oil/filter change as per suzuki's book)
- Bike was normal running on friday when i parked it up. Battery charge is good, but i'll recharge tonight again before trying. I'll also try with my portable jump starter to eliminate possibility of a battery related issue.
- I did have a similar issue before, a couple of weeks back where it just stalled as i did an emergency stop, due to a car coming out while i was filtering. The engine didn't start back up for a long time, and after trying for at least 10-15 times, it fired up normally as if nothing happened.
- In between that previous incident and today's, i had a long ride out to wales, 600 miles in total. Then last week i commuted all week as usual.

The only thing out of ordinary is i didn't wash the poor thing this weekend, as i had no time :( maybe it's too spoilt and demands a wash before moving off...

How can i get to coil mountings? Is it a weekend jobbie? I have no garage so i'll need daylight and above freezing conditions if it's a long job to get to.

Is there a fuse for immobiliser that i can easily get to and observe?

If it doesn't start up tonight after work, i'll take a video and post it here.

If it starts up, i'll always have it in the back of my mind that this may repeat itself, so i'd rather it didn't start and therefore i could have something to show the dealer... Talking about which, i wonder if they would come and pick it up from my drive or would i need to push it to their shop... It's not as heavy as my old 650 beast but it's still about a mile or so to the shop from my house...
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

No I don't think the immobiliser should be blinking

I think it flashes twice and then stays on during systems boot up and then goes out. If it is flashing then the immobiliser is active (as far as I know)
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

that sounds like a dealer only issue then :( i'll check again today step by step... i'll try to do a video capture as well, so that i can record exactly what is happening visually and by sound.
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

Have you tried your spare key?

The chip (SAIS) in the key may have become defective, thus not allowing to start?
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8